PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a question. How particular are you about pipe descriptions in Forums posts when it comes to the accuracy of describing materials. I always feel obligated to say "silver toned" band, if it isn't really silver. Or faux bone when it's plastic. Or acrylic Cumberland color if it isn't an actual Vulcanite/Cumberland stem. Is this really necessary? Am I passing my pipes off as something grander than they are if I just describe their appearance rather than apologizing for some of the materials that stand-in? I always feel a little humble, 'umble, in the bad sense. Most of these pipes look great. But maybe accuracy is good among pipe fanciers. What do you think? Does a silver band have to be sterling? Etc.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I very much appreciate precision and accuracy in most contexts, so while it may not really matter in the grand scheme of things it is my belief that it is worth the few extra words to describe something properly. Tell it like it is.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Keep it real. The more info you provide the better informed the other persons are.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're selling a pipe then I think absolute honesty is the way to go. In general discussion, then your descriptives are good enough. Let a picture tell the tale.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If you are describing a pipe you purchased, close enough is fine.
If you are describing a pipe, like an estate pipe for sale, lack of accuracy could turn off plenty of buyers. If I'm looking to purchase a used pipe (estate) lack of information on stem material, motivates me to move on. If the band is silver and not chrome painted plastic, its a big deal price-wise. Maybe that's why I purchase most of my estates from SmokingPipes.com.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, with sales, detail and specificity, and accuracy, are crucial. Silver and silver-toned bands make two different pipes. I was wondering about Forums posts, and how much it mattered, but I guess it's true, factual detail is not only more honest but also more interesting.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
mso, as your question was not about selling a pipe but merely how you describe a pipe you own. I see absolutely no issue with using terms like silver toned band or faux bone for plastic. Your still indicating that the band is not real silver and faux bone means not real bone all day long. The members of this forum all seem very intelligent and will not think the band is real silver or that faux bone is real bone. Your not lying or deceiving anyone.
Heck your not even embellishing the truth to me. Your just describing your pipe in a manner that makes you feel better or less humble. Pipe smoking is about pleasure and improving life, or at least it is to me. If your way of describing a pipe floats your boat, enjoy it and drive on.
One of the great things about pipes is that pipes can be enjoyed by everyone. A pipe is wood with a big hole on one end, a narrow hole, and a mouthpiece. Dunhill or Basket pipe taste wise are the same, aesthetically is a different matter lol. Anyway this got long lol, no sleep always makes me babble! Drive on mso and please don't change your style I and many others like it as it is!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
A lot of us use the descriptions of others in formulating our thoughts about a particular brand, line or pipe. For that reason I think accuracy is better. I would echo the prevailing sentiment that making your presentation as factual as you can is best. Things like "silver toned or faux bone" are excellent ways to convey the image when a picture might not adequately present that feature. MSO I can't remember ever reading a post of yours that was at all ambiguous. You're always clear, concise and candid.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Please, continue to be as descriptive as you wish. I appreciate the accuracy, especially since a photograph does not always convey complete substance of the object in the photo. Someone looking at the pipe I am smoking now would see a brown bowl with a black stem. I see a natural briar bent billiard, with a creamy medium brown patina that brings out darker grain throughout the bowl, and highlights the birds eye on the flanks of the shank, with a deep, jet black, high grade vulcanite stem hand cut to a flattened bit and pronounced oval button, that rests oh so comfortable in the teeth.

Well, there might be a little blarney in that, but it's a lot more fun.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Holy Hell man, you're wound tight today. Go light up a bowl and enjoy retirement. Unless you're pawning off a pipe it matter not at all how accurate you are in your measure of your own pipes.
That reminds me I scored one heck of an awesome Bahling pipe the other day while I was in New Hampshire.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I started posting pipe descriptions with my smokes because I have too many pipes to take pictures of, and didn't have a Photobucket account at the time. As I'm very interested in what others smoke, and what they smoke it in, I try to give accurate descriptions of my pipes in return. I've learned lot about my fellow smokers through the WAYS thread, and greatly enjoy the accuracy and fun of sharing what we are smoking.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I agree that accuracy depends on the circumstances. If I say that I am taking my rusticated Savinelli 320 with me on Wed to the pipe show, most of you can picture this. I could add what model it is, if I could remember. Now, if I was selling it, not, I should also mention that I smoked only Lakelands in it, NOT!.
If I was commissioning a pipe that would be similar but different to the 320, then I would need to be even more exact about what I wanted.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Pipe smokers that have made it through to a forum like this generally have pipe smoking as a hobby as well as (or instead of) a habit. A hobbyist is looking for details!
Isaac

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I like to see accuracy in pipe descriptions too but I also like to see accuracy in spelling and grammar. Oftentimes I find I need to re-read a post simply because the original poster was careless and never proof read his post afore hitting the 'send' button.
Nothing makes my toes curl more than poorly written (and spoken) English. We have a great language with a great history and we should show our pride in that language by using it correctly. It's also courteous to others who read our scribblings to make sure we can be understood at the first reading.
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with a few others in that it's better left unsaid if you aren't sure.
What really bugs me is folks unequivocally dating pipes. A major reseller has a number of GBD's listed as 1960-1970 era pipes. I have no idea how they came up with that date, it impossible with that brand.
@man (Jay) - Please feel free to read and message me regarding my posts to the Reborn Pipes blog. In threads here, I'm not so particular, but hope that I have used proper English on those entries.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Al, actually I have refrained from doing so lest I be accused of pedantry :?
Steve himself is a major offender in this regard, sometimes every paragraph has some error in it. I was even tempted to offer (for free of course) to proof read his articles for him but backed off as I feel he may have been offended.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Time for this:
When asked why he still lives in the UK despite working so much in the US, John Cleese had this to say:

Number one, we speak English and you don't.

Number two, when we hold a world championship for a particular sport, we invite teams from other countries.

Number three, when one meets the Head of State in England, one has to go down on one knee only.

Status
Not open for further replies.