PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I found a tin of BC today that is 7 years old. It is a Burly Perique Virginia blend. The red Virginia will mellow but how does the blend change? Any experience with BC?

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
It's probably one of GLPs worst candidates for long term aging because of the burley foundation and brandy topping added. Unless you like how burley ages it might be your cup o tea.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I will let you know how it is. I have some 40 year old Burley that I tried. It had a nice nutty flavor that was enjoyable. It was a very mild smoke to boot.

In GLP's own words...

Most of these have been around long enough to give me a really good indication of their aging potential. Intially, I had small expectations for Barbary Coast and Haddo's Delight, but time has demonstrated that, if carefully constructed, even a blend that relies on signficant amounts of burley can transform into pure ambrosia with a few years behind it. Stock up, and lay some down for the future, while also enjoying them in their youth. In a few short years, you'll be glad you took my advice. -glp

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I opened an 8 oz can, smoked two and jarred the rest. The jars say 11/2012. I'll pop one soon and try it and let you know.
The Haddo's I had jarred for a year aged superbly. If anything, the rum flavor seemed to intensify.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Thanks cosmic. It is good to know that it ages well. I did not know what I was getting but saw that it was by GLP so how could I go wrong?
REVIEW:
One of the 5 tins of 7 year old Barbary Coast, from an estate sale, has been opened my me. The tobacco is very dark with a few flake of dark yellow. There is mostly cube cut with some strands of short ribbon cut. The tin note is sweet prune like with an alcohol component. There is ample moisture but can be smoked out of the tin. I did prefer it dried about 30 minutes or more.
BC was smoked in several “neutral” pipes. A 5th Ave cob, a meer, and a VX Kiersten. They were all ½ bents.
It took several lights to get a good start, even when dried over nite in the bowl, but once lit it stayed going with few relights. The three step packing needed to be lite or it would go out immediately.
The first half bowl was soft and nutty, probably the burley, Then a sweetness, VA or Perique, came in that continued to the end . I did not notice any flavors that came from the perique so it may have aged away.
This blend is mild and would be a good all day smoke. My impressions of BC are about in the middle of the reviews of fresh tins that I have read.
Lone Red Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.