PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I polished off a bowl of Captain Black Gold yesterday as I always find myself going back to it once in a while for what reason, I don't know. Just a blend I started with and always find myself loving the smell from the pouch so much. It still astounds me that it will never, ever dry out due to the humectants applied, yet when I fire up a bowl of it, it seems to burn so quickly for me.
How can a tobacco so loaded with a chemical to help it hold moisture actually burn faster than tobaccos without it? I always seem dumbfounded when I go to tamp it after 15 mins or so and it almost sits halfway down into my bowl or more.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I sometimes get an itch for some Captain Black, and, Lord help me, even a dose of Borkum Riff Bourbon. I assume the artificial humectants are offset by artificial accelerants. Those two "pipe tobaccos" are probably the most heavily modified ones I've ever smoked; if not, they are the most obviously modified.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
299.jpg

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Hmmm .. I’m thinking propylene glycol , alcohol , burns well even with water absorbed
which also leads me to think pg is used simply because it is cheaper than ethanol and rum / whiskey which were probably the original inadvertent humectants

Status
Not open for further replies.