PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone! I recently got my first tin of escudo and I'm going to smoke some soon. Do any of you have better results with a specific prep method for it? Or perhaps with a certain pipe shape/bowl size? Any feedback is appreciated!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I both fold and stuff the coins as well as rub it out a bit sometimes. Do not rub it out too much though, as it loses flavor and burns hot this way. I like smoking it in my squat rhodesian Ardor nosewarmer... smokes like a dream.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I'll definitely try the fold/stuff method! Curious if anyone cube cuts escudo?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I can tell you this, I have smoked LBF much more and always fold and stuff (almost more like a crumble and stuff) that blend so when I first tried escudo I did the same. It works very well IMO. Also, I make sure to take a tiny bit and really rub it out and sprinkle it on top as a sort of kindling. But YMMV and experience will tell you which method you prefer. I have tried rubbing it out completely, as stated it did burn hot and fast. And to answer the question above I also tried a cube cut on it with my tobacco scissors and it was just the same as fully rubbed out. Fold and stuff is king with coin style blends IMHO. But once again, YMMV like many other things.
Bowl size for me doesn't really matter, it really depends on how long you want to smoke for really. Bit shape, I find with all flakes I designate my pipes that have a slender tall bowls to flakes and the wider in width bowls to other cuts. Not sure where others stand on that one but that's just me. Don't get annoyed but once again experience will tell you how you prefer it and YMMV.
HAPPY LUNTING!!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I also rub it out. I've never had much luck yet with fold and stuff with any kind of flake tobacco as for keeping it lit. But, that's not to say I won't keep trying. As for doing a cube cut I've done it several times with OGS and it smoked just fine in my opinion.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
For those with no luck on fold and stuff using coin like flakes, maybe try it this way. While folding it, kinda slightly run it in between the trews fingers you hold it in once it is folded. Maybe it's not a TRUE fold and stuff but it sure does work for me. Maybe I should make a video of it to make it easier to understand.
As for fold and stuff with other flakes like OGS or LNF, I have also not had much luck with those. I rub those out, lay the big strands out almost like piling sticks up in a pile facing the same direction and then set them vertically in the bowl. I use kind of a twisting motion to get them packed in there nicely and then add the broken up pieces on top as kindling.
I really should make a video

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I rub out all my flakes, I know sacrilege. I've just never had any luck keeping fold and stuff or cube cut lit for any length of time. I don't find it burns hot rubbed out and I don't detect any loss in flavour between the various methods. To each their own. As for a pipe, I have a Savinelli Tundra straight billiard that is dedicated to Escudo and it smokes like a charm. As a matter of fact, I had 2 coins rubbed out in that pipe last night and enjoyed an hour and a half smoke on the back deck with a glass of JD Tennessee Honey on the rocks.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I roll and stuff coins as I make a mess of folding. Definitely do the kindling on top - it gets everything burning nicely. I prefer medium - wide bowls, but that's probably more due to my inability to consistently keep a rolled coin in one piece long enough to get it all in the bowl without serious sticking or shedding! I confess I'm a greedy bastard, so if I can get two coins in a bowl I will; the forgiving nature and easy burn of both Escudo and Navy Rolls (I'm not getting into THAT conversation) mean that I get away without bite or nicotine nausea. Happy days.
Andy

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Escudo comes ready to smoke right out of the tin. Listen to Redbeard since his technique with Escudo is similar to mine. Escudo can easily be folded into the bowl. Make sure that you back the bowl well and do not leave too much air space at the bottom of the bowl. Like others I usually rub out the coins at the top to get a better light. Escudo is a great Virginia/VaPer enjoy!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the insight everyone! I just smoked my first bowl of it - I used the fold and stuff method with a little rubbed out on top, like suggested. I used one coin in my new tinsky pipe, it smoked really well. I only had to light two times which is good for me as I'm still relatively inexperienced in this hobby. It burned slow and cool - it was a bit wet, but I didn't dry it out at all prior to smoking it. Toward the end of the bowl I didn't smoke the last little bit of it, but that's due to my inexperience in packing so far. I thought it was a good smoke but I don't think I'm picking up on all the subtleties that those of you with years under your belt are able to get. I will give it some time and come back to it a couple weeks down the road. Like I said, I thought it burned really well and the taste was pleasant. Thanks again for the feedback guys and gals :)

Status
Not open for further replies.