PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
Hello there, I'm just new to this forum and I was wondering how others light their pipes. I'm assuming most light up with matches, but I've discovered a way that is even easier to use than matches...good old flint and steel. I used to use matches all the time, but found that I always had problems with the wind blowing out the matches. Not any more! Now I just take a small piece of charcloth and put it on top of my flint, strike it with the hardened steel striker to get a spark, and there you have it. Just set the glowing piece of charcloth on top of the tobacco, give a few puffs and it's lit. It is the way they lit pipes probably 200 years ago. I love being historical about things. Works better and faster than anything else I've tried to light a pipe.
Anyways, I live right across from a seniors home and I always see the residents sitting outside smoking. They all smoke cigarettes...interestingly enough. They look over the fence at me (I'm only 35 years old) and give quite the looks when they see me lighting up a tobacco pipe...with a flint and steel nonetheless. It's kinda comical. I love smoking my pipe, but being able to light it in a traditional 1800's way makes all the difference. Something almost mystical about it... Cheers!

Reactions: The Clay King

fallstaff

Lurker
Jun 18, 2009
I use either my Carona butane or my Zippo pipe lighter. The new fluid is a real change. I find no interfearence with the flavor. 2 charring lights and the final light.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wow runewolf. That's wild. I love the uniqueness and individual style. Very cool.
I, on the other hand, use a good ole' fashioned method from way back in the '70's (1970's that is) - I "flick my bic". You just have to be careful that you don't hit the rim of the bowl with the flame.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It depends on if I'm inside or outside. Inside I use matches for the charring light and to get the bowl started, then I use either my Zippo or Colibri pipe lighter the rest of the time. If I'm outside I just use my Zippo from char to finish.

Reactions: Mis Pipas

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
All I need now is to find somewhere I can get one of those traditional 18th century clay pipes they used to smoke.
Apparently using a so-called "smoker's brazier" with lumps of hot coals in it was a common way to light a pipe as far back as the 16th century. From what I understand some soldiers even used to use the "match" from their matchlock guns to light their pipes also (minus the powder). I believe that's where they came up with the idea of the "tinder tube", which is basically a small brass tube with a cotton or linen cord pulled through it. One end of the cord was charred, then lit with a flint and steel in order to light a pipe or start a fire. The reason for the copper tube was to allow the user to both extinguish the light easily and protect the delicate charred end. Personally I find just using small pieces of charcloth easier than anything else however. It is also more fun. I even made a flint and steel kit for my fiance...she likes to light her cigarettes (aack!!) with it. Takes a bit of practice though.
I personally find the history of pipe smoking just as interesting and enlightening as the actual lighting and smoking of a pipe itself.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic...
I get the impression from some people that they think I'm old fashioned or out-dated as far as me smoking a tobacco pipe versus the usual cigarettes most people smoke nowadays. But that's OK, I like being different about the way I do things. In fact, if I'm going to look old-fashioned smoking a pipe, I may as well go all out... I just recently bought off of E-Bay a couple of really nice clay tavern trade pipes. One is an actual antique from the 1700's. I just can't wait to get them home to try them out. I guess it just wouldn't really look right using a butane lighter or matches even to light up a 1700's style pipe. Other than that, the modern methods work really effectively and I have used my fiancee's lighter on occasion.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
The clay pipes that I bought are not really fancy or anything, nor were they really expensive. They are rather simple, as most were, and are of the same basic type and design that were used all the way back to the late 1500's. At the time, they were actually considered "throw away" pipes because they were so common and mass-produced. Between the late 16th century and the 18th century, pipes hadn't changed much. The early clay's had a fairly small bowl since tobacco in 16th century Europe was not easy to come by. I'll definitely try to post some pictures for you guys.

sander

Lurker
May 18, 2009
The Netherlands
I rememeber when I was just a small child and when we we're working in the garden (more playing and digging) we sometimes used to find parts from old clay pipes, usually with a broken off stem but it was pretty interesting.
how I light my pipe... I usually use a pipe lighter, nothing too special just a lighter specially made for pipes (with a nice print on it!)

sometimes I use matches but thats pretty rarily.
btw I found an image from ebay that has my pipelighter on it, check it out VV

!BRwdeugBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBJ+t9Sfs7!~~_2.JPG

sander

Lurker
May 18, 2009
The Netherlands
the lighter sure looks nice, nothing more.
I was trying to fire up my pipe and then disaster struck... IT WAS EMPTY, after just 5 uses.
well that wasn't the biggest problem because I had this spraycan with butane thats made to fill lighters like these. So I thought problem solved.
What did I do to deserve this, the head of the can didn't fit the lighter so it couldn't be filled, WHAT A DISASTER!!!
luckily there were some matches.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
For those who don't know, clay tavern pipes were furnished to customers upon request, usually after a meal. When the costomer had finished the bowl, The pipe was returned to to proprietor who broke off the stem just past where the smoker had used it and returned to the rack for service later. That is why one can find short stemmed old clays, espacially here in the mid Atlantic area.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
and I was wondering how others light their pipes

I started using a pipe lighter where the flame emitted from the nozzle at a right angle. But when the flint wore down I needed to replace it, then I needed to refuel it all the time, the thing never worked right... it proved to be an impediment to the full enjoyment of the relaxing aspect of the smoking experience.
I then used matches for a while. But half the time I ended up with sulphur flavored tobacco for a few puffs, and that wasn't fun.
I finally just settled on using a bic -- simple, cheap and reliable.
A long time ago I had an electric lighter that worked beautifully. When funds permit I think I'll get one of those again.
I've never heard of the charcloth method. I'd need to see it to understand how exactly it works. Sounds intriguing and like a fair bit of work, but I can see how it would add a new and significant sparkle to the ritual.

Status
Not open for further replies.