PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like to use 4 and 8 oz jars. To fit 2 and 4 oz of loose tobacco into them, I have to press it in pretty hard to make it fit. Do I squeeze slice tobacco into the jars the same way, breaking up the slices as needed? Or do I just use the 8oz jars and let the slices rattle around in them?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
What size slice are you refering to? I put Orlik Golden in a small jar and it fits with lots of room to spare. No stuffing necessary. They are stored vertically rather than horizontally, though.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You put it in the jar and then close the lid! Seriously if you put the slices in on top of each other in a stacked formation there should be no need to have to sit on the lip to close the jar. I only have a couple of jars which are used for odd bits of rope and very special tobacco like War Horse the rest of the stuff never hangs around long enough to be an issue.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I think your small jar is an 8 oz jar.
A cigar guy told me that a humidor needs to be full or mostly full of cigars; that the cigars in it would help each other from drying out; that a mostly empty humidor is fighting an uphill battle to keep the cigars from drying out.
That being said, I suspect that it's a good thing to have more tobacco than air in a jar in order to get the full benefit of aging. So I think I should pack as many slices into the jar as I can without breaking them. My first guess is that 3 50 gram tins of OGS would fit into 2 8 oz jars nice and snug.
But please keep in mind that I'm new at this and it would be nice to hear from someone with way more experience at this.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I think it depends on the flake really. I use the 4 oz jelly jars exclusively and most flakes I buy in bulk do decently. SG flakes are wonderful, the long flakes from the 250 gm boxes roll right up and drop right into a 4 oz jar. To date (and I don't have an extensive selection of bulk flakes so ymmv) the only flake I've actually had to alter is Old Dark Fired from the 1 lb box. The ODF flakes are just too stiff to roll up so I ended up cutting them in half. Even then I didn't have to mash them to get them to fit so they are still in flake format, just shorter.
My increment of measure is a little different than yours though. I have a cheap kitchen scale that measures in grams so I do 50 gms per jar instead of 2 full ozs (1/4 ounce difference).

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Thanks, torque.

We seem to be on the same page.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Gentlemen, I keep encountering tobaccos described as follows...
aged under pressure to marry the flavors
then the tobaccos are pressed and sliced
matured under pressure
pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced
I'm starting to think cramming as much tobacco as you can into jars is a key component in cellaring.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I mainly use the 500ml jars and slice the flakes in half . Then lay them in the jar so they are verticle (usually easier if you lay the jar on its side). One pound usually takes two jars.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The amount of pressure generated by the presses the blending houses have is incredibly more than what you can obtain at home. Whatever techniques you use will be insufficient to produce the heat that is obtained by commercial presses. They only keep tobacco in the presses for a few weeks, but their accelerated fermentation does produce the marrying that they claim, I think, and that seems to have something to do with selling it and making money lol.
I used to obsess about not cutting flake whatsoever, but now I pull apart 3-4" pieces and store vertically in whatever size jars I'm using. I used jelly jars for all my open blends and pints for storage. In this way I maximize storage, leaving enough intact flake to play around with when packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.