PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I am curious how people rate the Stokkebye VA flakes against McClelland's and Dunhill's?

I have been enjoying VA and VA/Per flakes for a short time, and the best I have smoked at this point for my taste are Dunhill DNR and some straight VAs from McClelland.

I was considering getting a few pounds of Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Bulls Eye Flake while the P&C sale is still on (I believe it ends today) to help build my cellar, but I have never smoked Stokkebye. The price is very good, but I don't know if I would have considered these if not for the sale, and price is not everything. I am still pretty green when it comes to VA.

Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think McClellands is the maestro of Virginias, but I smoke both PS Luxury Navy Flake and Bulls Eye Flake and find them both tasty and satisfying, but low key compared to comparable McClellands blends. I took advantage of a PS sale for my current supply and am glad I did.

I really like the Virginia Cavendish Luxury Twist Flake. It's very different.

But, comparatively, I would chose McClelland every day, any day.

Dunhill is ok. I would compare it to Samuel Gawith Virginias, which are alright. I wouldn't throw them away.

But LNF and LBF are maybe a tad lower on the totem pole than the rest, IMO.

I really like the Virginia Cavendish Luxury Twist Flake. It's very different.

But, comparatively, I would chose McClelland every day, any day.

Dunhill is ok. I would compare it to Samuel Gawith Virginias, which are alright. I wouldn't throw them away.

But LNF and LBF are maybe a tad lower on the totem pole than the rest, IMO.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
What MSO said.
I too took advantage of the P&C sale on Stokkebye PS Navy Flake. I also ordered some McClelland Dark Navy and have already smoked up a bunch of it.
I like the Luxury Navy Flake and the Bulls Eye is just as MSO said, tasty. It is hard to beat the P&C price, but McClellands is the gold standard for Vas, IMHO.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks very much, guys. What the heck, this stuff is pretty inexpensive not to give it a shot. Cheers

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is actually an STG/Orlik product. Good stuff and reasonably priced in bulk, if you shop around.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've only had the Bullseye Flake, and to me, it is like the little brother of Escudo. Not quite as refined, but you can't beat it for the price!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've smoked a lot of McClelland & Dunhill Virginias, but I rate PS Luxury Twist Flake above those. The LTF has become my go to smoke and may just wind being the only blend I smoke after I smoke up my remaining cellar.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Forced to choose, I would take Stokkebye's Virginias over McClelland, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
I love many McClelland blends, and am addicted to the Grand Orientals (oriental + Virginia), and I smoke several McCelland VaPers. But I would take LNF and LBF over any McClelland offering in the VaPer category. If it's on sale, buy pounds. They age amazingly well.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
All three of the Stokkebye "Luxury" blends are terrific. They are different from, but on par with, most any other of the many Virginia-based blend I've tried. I really like all of the McClelland ones I've tried and haven't opened any of the newer Dunhill flakes I have stashed away since I finished my last tin of Light Virginia Flake.

The Stokkebye blends age well and yield lots of bang for the buck so FWIW I would recommend them without hesitation. Another one you might consider is Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks! #400 is on my list. Ordered some of each of the PS Luxuries......Looking forward to them! I'll try a bowl and then cellar the rest.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In the beginning, (my beginning pipe smoking) I found this forum.
At that time, it seemed that a certain few blends continues to be recommended by seemingly knowledgeable members.

LBE seemed to be 'the shit' at that point, and I brought some in to try. I was still learning to pack and pace myself, so, I was having lots of fun with the LBE.
I then tried Escudo and thought that I'd been taken down the garden path by those who said that the blends were almost identical.

After that, I tried the LNF, and it seemed to taste better and be easier to work with.
I haven't tried the twist yet, but I can say that the Newminster 400 is a delightful flake. Not as 'finely' presented as LNF or OGS, another of the more popular recommendations, but it's topping is really nice and the tobacco is too.
Escudo and LBE are similar....in shape, and that there is VA present. I guess maybe there's perique too.

The presentation and taste of the Escudo is more refined, especially the taste.

LNF is a nice, inexpensive flake to keep around. I think it is as good as OGS.

LBE?

I may be just looking to find one thing about this hobby to be obdurate about, but although LBE is ok, it's not all that. LNF and maybe LTF are better PS blends. (I read that the LTF is topped similarly to the Newminster 400)

An lb of D&R Athey for under $30.00 is a 'best buy' in lightly topped, quality VA tobacco. It's just not a flake or coin.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I ordered some of those flakes as well but you guys must have bought them all out because they are backordered. So I will have to wait my turn to try them. They sound delicious.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Yo Snoop. Mine are on backorder as well. But that's okay. Being VAs I know they need to cellar for a while, so no rush.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
As much as I like to try new tastes and blends, I've found myself reaching for my jars of PS LTF and LBF more and more these last 6 months. I absolutely love it. If it's hot and muggy, LTF. If it's slightly cool/crisp, the LBF is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.