How Do I Clean This? (BBB Custom Made "11")

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Pipe is stamped BBB in a diamond, above "Custom Made", above the ®. Aged Imported Briar on the bottom, and the number 11 on the other side. I can't seem to get a pipe cleaner, or anything else for that matter, more than something like an inch and a quarter into the shank/mortise. The stem appears to screw onto something-like-a reverse stinger...? It cleaned up super well other wise, it'd be a shame if I can't clean out the stem. I've included pictures of the pipe, and my ugly mug, for clarification. Thanks guys. You can mail me any bills from the Optometrist. :lol:

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I've never delt with stingers before, but that looks like the stinger is stuck in the stummel and was not supposed to come off of the stem. I'm interested in seeing what the experienced people think.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
That's what I was thinking theboz. I tried a pair of pliers but it didn't want to budge. I felt like I was crushing the tube so I backed off. Luckily, the stem still screws on.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
LostandFound I am no expert and one of the pipe restorer's can probably tell you a better way but just the other day I had two Pre-1936 Kaywoodies that had the exact same scenerio. The stinger was stuck in the stummel and had backed off the stem. What I did was run two small nuts onto the threaded stingers. I then put a very small pipe wrench on the stingers and backed them out. It was tough and I was like you it felt like it was going to crush them but it didn't. If it does you will still have quite a bit of thread left under the two nuts. Also when you back them off they clean up the threads so you can still put your stem back on with no problems. I did two this way just recently and it worked both times great. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :puffpipe:

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Gary- I was actually just reading some older forum posts about some Kaywoodies that had this going on. (Trying to do some research before I woke the Sleeping Giants, you know?) The responses were mostly everyone's opinion on the "stinger" in general, and nothing was really relevant to my (our) situation. So, thanks.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
L&F one other thing I forgot to mention is on the second one it did feel like it was going to collasp or "egg" if you will, so I took a very small rat tail file I have that was a perfect fit and put it inside the "stinger". Once I put the pipe wrench on it , it gave it a little extra strength and didn't even "egg". The threads were boogered up from the little wrench but when you back the nuts off it cleans them up great. I know this is all pretty redneck but hey I am from West Texas!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.