Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How Did You Get Started Smoking A Pipe???

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shawn622
  • Latest reply from foggymountain
  1. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

I thought this would make a nice long thread. I'll start it. I dipped Copenhagen for 24 years. I got a divorce in 05 and hit the dating scene with a vengeance. Since no woman really wants to kiss a man with dip in his mouth, or date a guy that carries an empty Coke bottle full of spit, I picked up cigarettes.

I hated cigarettes, and never was a big smoker. I never smoked a whole pack in a day. Usually I only smoked about 5-7 a day. Well I met my kids mom and we had 2 sons within a year and a week of each other and I swore I would never let my sons see me smoke a cigarette, so I only smoked when they were in bed. This was an issue because I would really want some vitamin N sometimes. Especially during stressful situations.

Well, in June I was looking into a RYO setup and came across this tobacco called Sparrow #24 I believe, but on the package it said "With just the right amount of Cavendish.". So I Googled Cavendish and found out it was an actual pipe tobacco. So I kept reading about different pipe tobacco till I came across MacBaron Dark Twist Roll Cake. Once I saw a picture of one of the slices, I immediately ordered some. Then I bought a cheap basket pipe and proceeded to tear my mouth up. lol I eventually came here where I got all the good advice, and encouragement to not give up. Now I no longer NEED nicotine. I no longer inhale. It is a hobby rather than a habit, and I really enjoy it.

That is my story, What is yours?

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I swear, there is a machine out there that just cranks out a new version of the old standby threads every few weeks!

I started in college because, in those ancient days, smoking a pipe was part of being a "college man" - at least in my eyes.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

I kind of figured it was a repeat topic since it lacks even a hint of originality, but in my three months, I had not seen it and was curious. We have a bunch of new members, myself included, so I really could not go wrong posting it. I mean everyone has to have an answer for this thread. Plus I can't sleep and wanted to kill some time. lol Thanks Jud, I also figured your answer world be prevalent among the older members.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started out of curiosity, and the desire for something with more flavor than a cigarette.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chopz

chopz

Login to Send PM

i've been a hardcore cig addict for decades. back when i was 18 i worked at an electrical supply house where the foreman smoked a pipe. he had 2 little ones he kept n his breast pocket all the time. back then you could smoke in the workplace. anyway, there was a drug store next door. my friend jimmy's sister worked there. she was really cute. i bought a grabow there and frequented the place for various flavors of amphora, half and half, etc. the cigs won out in the long run as they did several times later, every time i tried to go full time pipe.

how's that for a different answer?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. fshu2

fshu2

Login to Send PM

before coming to college i had said i would never smoke. one night my freshman year me and the EX got into a big fight so i went out with some friends and they handed me a cheap white al cigar Grape flavored. i found i liked the smoking but i do not really the horrible taste in from the cheapness. i decided that maybe a pipe would be better besides it looked better. ever since then i have not put it down. started in 09.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The smell of a pipe going by, walking past pipe shops as a kid, and it always had more appeal to me than a cigarette.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always used to say that cigarettes killed all the men in my family, and I'm smoking for revenge!

But I managed to put them down after twenty years. I had smoked a pipe very occasionally, but never knew how. A stressful new job almost put me back on the nails - luckily I picked up the pipe instead. I am more relaxed now than ever before. That's what it's all about for me, being forced to take time, focus, get a grip.

And camaraderie is a bonus. Can anyone imagine a forum of cigarette smokers??

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Hahahahahaa.... That is hilarious Cynyr. No, Cigarette smoking is not something people are passionate about I don't think. I think it is something that looks cool when you are a kid so you try it and then you chase your tail your whole life. There is a definite difference in the two. Great post!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. nehemias88

nehemias88

Login to Send PM

I started my freshman year in college because I was really curious about the fuss all over tobacco. I never smoked anything that's inhaled because I have asthma. But I did some research and found out that cigars and pipes are not meant to be inhaled. Only savored in the mouth. This was definitely interesting to me. How is it possible to feel all these flavors from only the smoke of tobacco? I never understood that until I smoked my first bowl. And man, am I glad that I bought that nording pipe as my first instead of a cheaper briar one. I definitely took my chances, but I had no doubt that I would dislike it. No one in my immediate family has smoked anything before and I don't have any close friends to show me the way with a pipe, so this is mainly why I'm here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An old bandmate of mine tossed me a nice Barling and let me give it a shot. I had always smoked, just never a pipe. Decided I liked it more. And when you're driving from coast to coast, there is nothing like sailing down the highway watching the sun come up, having a nice smoke.

“We do what we do, because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. dpkrause

dpkrause

Login to Send PM

This is going to sound bad, but I started last year due to meeting some friends that smoked a pipe. They pressured me into it like it was crack. I am glad they did because I love this hobby. Not sure what I like more: the actual smoking, the ritual of preparing, smoking, and preserving a pipe, or the joy of collecting little works of art.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jsiddle

jsiddle

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started about two weeks ago!

Timing was completely random but the reason was not...

I remember my grandfather getting up in the early morning or later in the evening and sitting at the dining

room table and having a bowl. Not sure what he was smoking, but damn it smelled good. And this is a man

whom I have a great respect for. So a couple weeks ago, I said... "Lets give it a try" and I am very

glad I did...

EDIT: Before this I had never smoked anything in my life, never done anything with tobacco or any drug...

Except liquor... ya liquor is good

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Dad and Uncle smoked pipes so I was around pipes from a young age. I'm sure I snuck a few puffs when I was kid and smoked nails for a few years in high school and in the military. I bought my first pipe in the early 1990's while in the Air Force at a brick and mortar shop. It was a no name Italy but smoked great and I learned with it. I got interested in pipe making and after I made a pipe I was happy with I smoked it for years. Once the internet came along I really got into the hobby the last few years and have enjoyed growing a small collection. Still just an occasional smoker with sometimes weeks between the times I light up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember seeing my grandfather smoking a pipe and of course people in movies and just thought it looked so cool. Smelled good too! I also remember going into the Tinderbox at the local mall when I was kid and watching the counter guy puff away while I opened up the glass jars to smell all those wonderful tobaccos.

Unfortunately cigarettes ended up being my introduction to tobacco use back in 1989 when I was 13. Through the years, I actually liked smoking cigarettes but I always had pipes in the back of my mind. However, my point of view at the time was that a teenage/20 something year old kid would look silly smoking a pipe so I never bothered. I also think part of that attitude came from the fact that this was in the mid-90s and you just didn't see people smoking pipes anymore. Even the Tinderbox at the mall went out of business. It just didn't seem "en vogue" anymore.

Finally, around 2000 and while I was home on leave, I thought to hell with it and bought a Dr. Grabow from a local Walgreens and pouch of Captain Black. It was odd at first, I didn't inhale as I knew you weren't supposed to, but it felt weird not doing it. For the first couple of years it was nothing more than a novelty to me, something I only did on occasion. Each passing year though the pipe was getting used more and more. Finally in 2007 I quit cigarettes and became a full time pipe smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking through this thread, I have found some interesting responses. I also found a couple that were extremely hard to read due to lack of capitalization and punctuation. Let me gently point new members towards the forum rules,which include this:

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar

9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.

A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).

British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.

Perfect grammar is not required. We are simply encouraging everyone to do their best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sinister

sinister

Login to Send PM

For me, it started somewhat as a joke. Never a cig smoker, but I do like the occasional cigar or clove. My neighbor is a smoker and we were comparing our injuries over the years (back problems, shoulder issues, etc) and joked around how we need to buy some pipes and sit on the porch and shake our fists at the kids in the neighborhood since we are getting "old". No offense to the older gentlemen on here....

I went out and bought some cheapie pipes and some tobacco. Some tongue bite and burned mouth or 2 later, came to realize that I actually enjoyed it more than a cigar. Started looking into it more which brought me here and just started reading up on the hobby and bought a few more pipes with some better quality tobacco.

Adam
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A roommate that I had back in '92 was a pipe smoker... I was smoking cigs at the time... long story short, he had an extra corn cob and had me try a bowl... 20 years later and here I am

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peer pressure, 3 of us started in our junior year of HS and I have been at it since. That was 1971.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Wow Pipe in hand. You have been smoking a pipe since the year I was born. No wonder your blends are so good. You have done a lot of research

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Login to Send PM

Pretty much all the men I grew up around smoked, and many of them also smoked pipes/cigars. I picked up cigs as a teeenager, and on my 19th birthday (1990) my father gave me my first briar and some cheap aromatics as a gift. He wanted me to quit the cigarettes, and even quit himself and went full-time to the pipe in order to encourage me. At first I didn't care for it, but I recalled a B&M called the Gatlin-Burllier I'd been in a few times in order to buy cigarettes while visiting my grandmother in Gatlinburg. I went in there one day and tried a bunch of their blends, including two English blends. I was hooked from that point. I still occasionally relapse onto the cigs, but I've loved pipe smoking ever since then.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. logandow

logandow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got an estate when I was in the 3rd grade and decided that I would try it when I got old enough. Then my elder brother Collin started smoking and that re-sparked my interest. few months later I found myself in Germany smoking at a cafe in Heidelberg.

A man without a pipe is a man unprepared
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

anachronislad

Login to Send PM

Just about everyone in my family smokes and had smoked since I was a little kid. So I've always been around it. But they all smoke cigarettes which I despise. The smell is terrible and everyone who smokes cigarettes wants to quit . I always said I would never smoke, but when I turned 18 I was in my basement and found my dads church warden that my mom had gotten for him as a gift but that he only ever smoked once or twice. He had some tobacco in there with it that smelled amazing but had been in there presumably for years untouched. I was curious about what everyone saw in smoking so I decided to give it a try. I got some nasty tongue bite but loved the flavor and especially how relaxed it made me feel. After I finally got some good fresh tobacco I was hooked. Every time someone says I'm a hypocrite for smoking when I said I wouldn't, I tell them "hey, I'm not smoking cigarettes". He'll everyone who smokes a pipe really enjoys it, and hey you sure as hell look a lot more classy than smoking a cigarette.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got an early start with cigs back as a teen and gravitated over to dip and chew as a lot of my buddies were big in to that form of tobacco. I didn't truly get addicted to the nicotine until the chewing started which I would probably still use to this day if it wasn't so unpopular with the females, lol

When I decided to stop the chew, I walked in to the local cigar shop one day out of pure curiosity. The small town B&M had been there for almost 40 years, was throughly cluttered as the old guy that owned it was some kind of horder, but the smell of pipe tobacco made it feel like heaven. I guess that aroma got me interested in pipes but I went the route of cigars and really got to enjoying them right off the bat. I quickly started reading forums, Cigar Aficionado, etc and got hooked big time. When the store closed and new owners refurbished the spot and opened a new business I managed to score a job there and it became my second home during college. I basically worked to buy cigars but I was loving it.

One of the gents I met on the cigar forums, and became good friends with, had gotten in to pipes and was really enjoying them. He mentioned several times that I should try them out but it wasn't something I had priority on as I was such a cigar nut at the time. He and I did a great deal of trading which quickly became a game of trying to one up each other with blind trades etc. One day a package arrived with a brand new Peterson Flame Grain, a leather pipe bag, and a tin of C&D Cross Eyed Cricket. I was excited to try out pipe smoking and took a liking to it, pretty much as a change of pace to my regular cigars but not as a full time hobby. I collected a few more pipes and a range of tobaccos and started slowly learning more about blends, etc.

After I met my wife and moved away from home, I had pretty much hit the point that I was tired of cigars. I smoked everything out there, including Cubans, to the point that nothing stood out anymore. I was also in an entry level point in my career and now had a woman to be accountable to with my purchases so the budget for cigars came to screeching halt. I smoked pipes pretty exclusively for about two or so years, sticking to a core group of blends I enjoyed without the PAD or TAD thing kicking in. I also downsized to one desktop humidor of about 50 or so cigars to enjoy from time to time. I'm still not sure how I accomplished this feat

I slowly gravitated back to cigars, trying new things here and there but sticking to old favorites and that went on up until about 6 months ago. My pipe racks had kind of become more of a shelf decor in the study and one day I thought to myself I really should clean them all up and start enjoying them again, especially given how nice a quality some of my briars were. So I spent a few days getting my bowls and stems thoroughly cleaned up, put in an order for a few tins of old favorites and went at it. Needless to say, I didn't realize what I had been missing out on. I've since added more pipes and an insane amount of tobacco to my cellar and pretty much not slowing down since. I found this place and found a new online home for my hobby as well. It's been enjoyable to interact with those who enjoy pipes without the forum drama from the past places I've been a member at. The experience definitely enhances my enjoyment of pipes quite a bit. Despite the number of years I've smoked and blends I tried, I still feel like I'm learning new stuff everyday.

My apologies I didn't mean for this to be so lengthy but it seemed like a good time to share my journey!

Mike
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a crappy pipe and dried up 20 year old tobacco pouch in a family closet when I was 14 years old. I assumed it was my father's and that he didn't need it anymore, so I took it and smoked it when nobody was home. It was a bad smoke, so I soon replaced the pipe with a Wilke and the tobacco with Balkan Sobranie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was 16, working in my Dad's general store in the 60's, stocking shelves with a dozen pipes of various shapes and finishes wrapped with two pouches of Carter Hall - a promotion for $5. Both my grandfathers smoked pipes and I always liked the burning pipe tobacco smoke's aroma. $5 was a lot of money for me back then and I was worried about what my parents would say (they both smoked cigarettes at the time), but I picked out a tan smooth Willard billiard, then went and rang my purchase in at the cash register. They folks weren't happy but they got over it. I still smoke that Willard BTW.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you couldn't tell from the screen name my intreset was piqued when the Lord of the Rings movies came out. Last one came out in '03 when I turned 18, so I hit a B&M and picked up a Churchwarden and some black cherry house blend. I was pretty off and on with it, going for a few months and then not touching it for nearly a year. It wasn't until about three years ago I picked it up again and have kept with it ever since. I got back into it seriously because, I had been dating my girl for a year and one night she headed over after work finding me on the patio having an early evening bowl. She said "I never knew you smoked a pipe. That smells great and is kinda sexy.". Ofcourse, the rest is history. Now I'm usually smoking a bowl and a half to three bowls a day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jiminks

jiminks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My high school buddy Steve Parsons is to blame for my addiction. He started smoking a pipe when he was 12 and a half, and tried for some time to get me to try it. We liked virtually all the same things, and he wanted someone to smoke a pipe with. He nagged me every day for two months in the summer of '74, and finally said, "Try it. If you don't like it, I won't bother you about it any more." So, to shut him up, I got my dad's Willard Canadian that he had once smoked, and some Borkum Riff Cherry (I didn't know better then). I tried it and loved it, and was hooked from then on. A few years after high school graduation, I ran into Steve and he told me he quit smoking. Dirty, rotten so-and-so!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He started smoking a pipe when he was 12 and a half

Whoa, hardcore!

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Pipes are so relaxing. I gave up Cigarettes 30+ years ago. I started smoked my pipes when I was in Viet Nam. It stuck with me ever sense.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jiminks

jiminks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ghost: I was 13 when I started pipe smoking. Steve was a few months older than me, and had started before we became friends. What was really amazing to me was that his mother found out when he was 14 or maybe 15, and never gave him a hard time about it. I guess she figured as long as it wasn't dope or cigarettes, it was okay. I never had the nerve to ask. My parents found out when I was 15 and never said anything to me about it either. I do remember at 17 asking my dad if I could smoke in front of him. He didn't say anything for a couple of moments, before saying, "Okay." That surprised me, too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Different era I guess. Neat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Started smoking cigs at 13 because someone told me that if you smoked a cig after you smoked a bowl of weed it increased the High. Well it did. Because of the Nic buzz and the fact that I was giving my brain less oxygen.

So for a while there it was just smoking after smoking if ya catch my drift.

I dropped the weed a long time ago. For the record.

That moved on to smoking cigs all the time.

Which led to chew. Chew because I could chew in class in highschool where I was not able to smoke.

That eventually led to the world of cigars when I get older. And I loved what I was finding there.

So after walking past the pipes for years at the cigar shops I started asking questions half assed like about what they were all about.

And then I tried the pipe.

I still smoke cigs and chew on a regular basis. Cigars have taken a back seat for the most part although I'd say I smoke about 10 a month now a days. The pipe has of course become an every day thing.

I just really love tobacco.

Don't know why. Just do.

So that's how that story goes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. ronin61

ronin61

Login to Send PM

Never smoked at all as a kid. As an adult, I've smoked cigars on special occasions for years, but started to seriously get into them after my divorce 3 years ago. I got my best friend into them also. Well, he returned the favor. He bought a pipe a few months ago. We were talking about it one day and I became curious, so about a month ago, i bought a basket pipe from a smoke shop. Now I have 4 pipes and just bought another today. I think I have PAD.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. johnnyxpipe

johnnyxpipe

Login to Send PM

I was not a smoker prior to pipe smoking. I was in college and I searched hobbies on Google, found pipe smoking and decided to try it. Went down to the local shop picked up a corn cob pipe and some Peter Stokkebye Black Cavendish. That was 4 years ago and I have loved it from the start.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. deleon

deleon

Login to Send PM

Always been curious about smoking a pipe that my fiance decided to buy me a cheap starting pipe. After that I was hooked and have improved on my collection and haven't looked back. I think smoking a pipe is much like riding a motorcycle. Everyone ask why do you ride, I just say it's the freedom of it and you just have to ride. I think it's the same for pipe smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

A lot of cool stories that make for good reading material

I still smoke that Willard BTW.

I got my dad's Willard Canadian

I have a little Willard bent billiard that is ugly as hell, but it is one of my favorite pipes.

Now I have 4 pipes and just bought another today. I think I have PAD.

Sounds like you do have a little PAD. Weezel says it is a sickness. I have to agree!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deleon: You make me wish I were headed up to New England today on a BMW motorcycle. I haven't had a driver's license in many years, and after several cross country trips, thought I was over it, but you are right. You never get over it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   zzeman, sfsteves, rx2man, dottiewarden, novicemaker