PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
There's an ebay auction going on with some very inventively stained Yello-Bole pipes.
Can someone tell me how Yello-Bole managed to stain these pipes? I understand how you can get a two-tone stain on a smooth pipe. I don't understand how you do this on rusticated pipes. Any ideas? Thanks.
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q786/joeahearn/yello-bole.jpg

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
$T2eC16V,!ysE9sy0iO3nBQulOEjYUw~~60_57.JPG

I think that's what you were after. As for the finish, no clue.. I'm leave that one for the experts.
aaaaand, the eBay auction link

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Sorry--new to this forum. I think the photos show up now. At least there is a link from photobucket showing...

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
My pleasure, Joe. Welcome to PM! I hope someone is able to tell you what kind of finish that is.
Yellow stain, then rusticated/sandblasted.
On the inside of the bowl? Gross.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Hi hfearly,
I guess what I don't understand is how you put on the second coat of stain, the yellow, without getting yellow stain on the black that's deep in the rustication.
Kasbah and lordnoble: I've bought estate Yello-boles that had been smoked to death, heavy cake. If you ream a little too far, you find that Yello-bole yellow stuff still there. I guess they REALLY didn't want anyone to see those tobacco chamber walls.
Best,

Joe

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yellow + black = black. The answer given is right on - rusticated, stained dark, polished hard, restained with yellow.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
I have one it is becoming one of my favorites. Any thing i put through it smokes like a dream.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks, Sasquatch. So the second stain, the yellow, re-liquifies the base stain, the black? Then mixes with it and the result is black? I havent done much two-tone staining and what was throwing me was thinking of the stains as like latex paint. Put on the black, then paint over it and it's yellow. I didn't realize the stains would mix. Thanks for the clarification.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Old thread but...

Actually I believe what was done was the pipe was rusticated and painted yellow, then black over that but rubbed off while still wet so that the high points were yellow again but black left in the rusticated valleys. I have some experience with this style of painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.