How Common Is It to Be Sent 4yo Bold Kentucky?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasbriar

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
I have smoked pipes for a few years, but have just recently had it take my no.1 hobby spot, so I have been trying several different categories (Va/Per, English, Virginia, burley, DFK, and Aros). I recently found out that Dark Fired Kentucky is my personal favorite. This was discovered by smoking HH Old Dark Fired and Orlik’s Dark Strong (much prefer HH). But I’ve also taken to an English blend, English Oriental Supreme, that I never took to in my starting days. It’s the only English I’ve tried, so I decided to go whole hog, as I normally do.
I say all that to make sense when looking at order I just received.

2oz of Balkan Supreme by Arango

1oz of Super Balkan by C&D

2oz of Plum Pudding by SPC

2oz of Maltese Falcon by GL Pease

2oz of Jackknife Plug by GL Pease

1.75oz of HH Bold Kentucky by Mac Baren

1lb of HH Old Dark Fired by Mac Baren

8oz of Autumn Evening by C&D
The HH Bold Kentucky is dated March of 2015!!! Is it common to get a 4yo tobacco tin sent to you??? Also, thoughts on my order? Anything I should be aware of?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It happens when there's more supply than demand. Before smokers became aware of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro being the closest thing in production to the old Three Nuns, it just sat unnoticed on the shelf. My first few orders of it dated to 2014 and 2015. When I bought my tins of McClelland Tawney Flake, just before the mad McClelland scramble began, the tins dated to 2012.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
The same thing has happened to me with Bold Kentucky tins twice in the last few months. Pretty awesome! I don't know if aging does much for it because I haven't tried any newer tins, but still...

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I bought some dunhill flake a few months ago in the square tin from our local b&m that was marked as 2014 production year according to online dunhill dating guides

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
At the height of the McClelland apocalypse, I ordered some No. 6 mixture that turned out to have been tinned in 2013

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s actually pretty common. All the Bold Kentucky, Pure Virginia Flake and St. Bruno I bought a couple of years ago all had some good age on them. My Doblone d'Oro tins are all from June 2014 and I just bought some Roll Cake that is dated June 2010. I love that MB not only gives you the year of production but the month too, that is priceless in my opinion. You’ll have more luck getting aged stuff from B&M’s but like others mentioned you can get lucky from online sources too. Most everything I’ve ever bought from McClelland had a good two years or more of age on the tins, several being about five years old. It’s quite funny, when they were readily available their tins just sat on the shelves but they close their doors and now people wax poetic about the good ol’ days when McClelland was around. We humans are a funny bunch.
Btw, Tawney Flake was an excellent blend that never really stirred much talk on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.