How can I be loosing my taste for Latakia? Has anyone else had this experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Latakia blends weren't my first, but they were love at first taste, which I began smoking before I got into Navy Flake, VaPer's such as Orlik, and Irish Oak. Been smoking those three all summer, and wanted to ration my stock, so I turned to the Latakia stores which I had amassed over the winter, and I couldn't stand the taste. Not even Daybreak (sort of like Early Morning, which is mild for an English/Balkan)! How can something which I once enjoyed so much now actually taste foul? These 'baccies are in fine condition, stored in jars which don't seal perfect, but good enough for the time which I generally keep anything around, most of which needs to dry out a bit anyway.
The temperatures and humidity have been very high, recently. Has anyone noted that in connection with taste?
Has anyone permanently left Latakia behind after discovering sweeter flake tobaccos, and refined their smoking cadence to avoid the bite?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Used to love lat bombs for a couple of years, now only like blends where the Latakia is more of a condiment. Not the first person I have heard describe this. I think your tastes have become more acute to subtle nuances, and heavy lat blends are now like a punch in the mouth, whereas when you first tried them, you needed the strength to discern what you were tasting. As far as I can tell, it's natural progression. Try cutting those blends with a Virginia or a burley, depending on your taste, and see if that helps.

Latakia is seasonal for me. My mouth cannot handle smoking it in the warmer months at all. It wipes out my taste buds, and destroys the tastes of all of the other genres I enjoy.

However, first sign of frost, and I am craving it. I think it's the association with fireplaces and brush fires.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like mild lat blends in the warmer months provided I have something sweet to drink with them.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
I still love lat blends but I do tend to prefer to smoke them in the colder months.
This is just an "intelligent-ish" guess, but it could have been when you were eating and drinking the bolder foods and drinks that were more robust and hard-hitting that can alter your taste-buds. Like when I drink the darker beers (stouts & porters) and more robust wines and whiskies/ eat lots of red meats and heavy sauces; I stick to the bolder smokes. And during the warm/hot months when I drink IPAs, white wines and fruity-cocktails and eat salads and white meats in the summer I smoke mostly Virginia blends, lighter cigars [and fruity shisha].
If I could be so bold as to prey you don't throw away your Latakias quite yet, put them aside and try again when the weather turns chilly- you may change your mind.
Hope this helps.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I never cared for anymore Lat than what was in Mcc Aniversary. Lately I am expanding that a bit more. Right now I am all over Glp Chelsea Morning which has a tad more Lat.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
chasingembers summed it up perfectly. So yes, I've had the same experience as the OP.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
My palate likes lat in the spring and summer and virginias in the fall and winter.
But yes, I keep my cellar stocked with both just for this very reason.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I notice no seasonal preferences. Seems to be the same choices year round. Latakia and non-Latakia blends all four seasons. Obviously, it is a personal matter for everyone.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It wipes out my taste buds, and destroys the tastes of all of the other genres I enjoy.
This happened to me once and now I'm more cautious with the Lat.
Used to love lat bombs for a couple of years, now only like blends where the Latakia is more of a condiment.
Me too. Now I can enjoy other blends without the risk of Lat tongue burnout.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've experienced Lat Tongue. Everything tasted salty and funky. Now I'm dialed in and mix between Va's, VaPers and Lat Blends and have zero desensitization.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia is a tricky item. It can be used as the subtlest of condiment tobaccos (Nat Sherman 536) or a knock-over bomb in a number of blends. It has the habit of fading with age. I have a tin of GLP Westminster in which the Lat has faded almost entirely. I enjoy Lat, and not on a seasonal basis, but it can become monotonous, so I find myself choosing not Latakia sometimes. I think because it is a sort of love-at-first-taste leaf, people tend to smoke it too much and use up its beguiling presence. Of several blending tobaccos I have for mixing with other blends, Lat is the one I almost never use. All the various Virginia and Va/Per blends without Lat provide pleasure, variety, and subtlety that doesn't seem to wear thin. Also, I am a big burley fan, and it goes well without Lat, although Lat is sometimes blended with burley. Lately, I find myself attracted to blends that have neither Lat nor Perique, though I love 'em both.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
That is one of the reasons Temple Bar is so enjoyable. To me, it's complex and interesting without any Lat.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I've certainly had a similar experience of liking Lat but then gravitating towards vapers and Lakeland blends. I wouldn't be too quick though. It may not be as straight forward as embers suggests. Your tastes may shift again and you'll appreciate Lat blends again although with perhaps a more discerning palate.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I smoke Balkan blends almost exclusively from fall through spring, with the only exceptions being Heinrichs DSF and Rattrays Marlin Flake, which I smoke year round. As others have noted though, my taste goes towards "plainer" tobaccos in the warmer months. I smoke a lot of Old Gowrie, Solani ABF, Kentucky Club, Royal Yacht, Briar Fox and Orlik Golden Slices in the summer months. Don't worry too much about losing you're taste for Latakia...it gives you a chance to rotate your dedicated pipes!

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
puffndave, I had basically the same journey. Started out with Englishes and Lat blends and loved them very much. Once I started into Va's and VaPers I lost interest in lat blends. The only ones I ever smoke nowadays are the occasional bowl of nightcap or EMP. They just don't taste "good" to me anymore. Everytime I dip into my lat blend stores I end up disappointed.
Don't sweat it too much, I don't. Smoke what you like and enjoy it.
And yes, I have refined my cadence enough that flakes and Va's rarely bite me nowadays :)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm similar to Cosmic, in that I don't enjoy Lat blends in the warmer months but when it's cold outside, they just sing! My tastes are always changing.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
As others mentioned, Lat can be a seasonal/temperature taste.

That being said... Even during the cold winter, I sometimes load my pipe with one of my favorite lats (Nightcap, Westminster, Black Mallory, and recently Sextant) and it just doesn't do it for me. Sometimes the flavor is downright overwhelming and unpleasant. I go back to VAPers or VABurs for a day or two and then I start craving that smoky goodness once again and actually ENJOY it once I smoke it. Try to maybe give your palate a rest for a bit and try the Lat blend(s) again on a chilly evening.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I may be in the same boat..
Been enjoying tin after tin of Nightcap for months now but the last two weeks have changed. I reckon it's due to the Solani aged Burley I bought and have now finished. I keep craving that roasted nutty flavour far far more than the smokey Latakia.
Seasons are irrelevant for me, but I do enjoy a hot dry day and a bowl of Latakia heavy stuff.
Now I thinking I gotta get some more Burleys and maybe even some va-pers. Tatse buds seem to have changed randomly so probably best to change it up a little. Same deal last year, got sick of Latakia to the point I was thinking it was just gross and I hated it. Also I bought a tin of Ashton - Artisans mixture as it was supposedly a mega lat bomb.
Now it is that, but it's also sweet, malassis like and sickly. it started to turn me off after half a tin and kinda reminded me of the hay/compost heap at a farm I used to visist. Like old sweet cow shit and bonfires lol. This may be the turning point for this current taste change.
Check this stuff out next to Nightcap. (Nightcap is in the jar)

Status
Not open for further replies.