PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am working on my 7 day set of Uk large bent bulldogs. I had an Ashton that Mr Taylor made for me and it was an amazing pipe. How does Mr Craigs work compare to Mr Taylors? I am going to have a sandblasted bent bulldog in dark stain with brindle stem and silver band made.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I don't own one of Bill Taylor's creations but I was gifted one made in 2011 by an extremely generous forum member and can say without hesitation that the smoking quality of the pipe is amazing. I'd not hesitate to purchase another of Craig's creations, mine is a Soverign and the cross grain is perfectly aligned, the pipe is on the small side but smokes cool and dry everytime. One of my favorites to be sure.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I am fortunate to own 3 Taylor era Ashtons. They are all excellent smokers, even one which is an unstamped factory second. I have ordered several current production Craig Ashtons from smokingpipes in the last few months, but I have returned all of them due to what looks to me like poor drilling and poor draw. Kinda disappointing, given how much I enjoy my Taylor Ashtons- If I had to sell most of my pipes, it is the Ashtons that I would keep.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
hiplainsdrifter, In what ways is the drilling poor? I am not doubting your observation - just curious.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
The draw on all three was very constricted. On two different bulldogs, the shank drill was super wide and the stem drill was normal width- for some reason this produced a pretty tight draw- not to mention that all your baccy would easily work its way into the shank and clog it as you smoked. Perhaps it is just me, but this seemed like bad construction to me.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
hiplainsdrifter and frozenchurchwarden, Thanks for the specifics of the problem. Adding an Ashton to my rack is a distant aspiration, but now I know I may want to look for a Taylor-era estate.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I had forgotten, but my newer Ashton had a standard "Ashton" draft through the shank, but a more restricted stem. Before I even smoked it, I went to town with a set of needle files and I've ben happy ever since. This was an ebay purchase and I got it for a song, so I didn't mind -- and it's not like I had any recourse with the maker since I bought it second-hand (albeit unsmoked). It has also been pointed out to me by others that some of the newer Ashtons are a little iffy on the stem-shank junction - not in most cases, but be aware of that. Also, I've noticed that many of the newer Ashtons have slightly thicker stems than most (not all) of the older ones, so that may be something to consider, too.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I only own 1 Ashton as well, but it is a phenominal smoker with a wide open draw and spot on drilling. It was made by Jimmy Craig in 2011 and is a straight billiard XXX pebble grain, if it makes any difference. I don't doubt anyone else's issues at all, but my experience with the one and only that i own has been superb, and i am always on the lookout for deals on both Taylor and Craig made Ashton's.
That said, i would give them a shot and suggest you buy one new and from a reputable dealer or shop, in the event you have an issue(s) with its construction or drilling. It goes without saying, but i'll say it anyways, make sure to THOROUGHLY inspect the engineering of the pipe to your satisfaction before deciding to fire it up. If you get a dud, return the bitch and try another or move on from Ashton altogether!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd describe the Ashton draw as typically British, and similar to my Ferndowns and Upshalls.

I've had one Ashton with wonky drilling, which I fixed with some needle files in the shank. I never felt compelled to do anything to the stems.

One difference with Craig pipes is that he doesn't use the "Ashtonite" material but rather acrylic stems.

Mar 1, 2014
Al, do you have any references for the stem material?

Smokingpipes lists a lot of Ashtons as Vulcanite, but if I could say for sure that they're actually acrylic it would make the brand a lot more appealing to me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I asked via Jimmy's odd Ebay auctions, that was his reply (well, thru his account).

My last two were acrylic, the finish came off the inside of the stem near the button and clear showed thru. That led me to message Jimmy thru the Ebay message system.

Two years ago, Jimmy was selling a lot of pipes thru Ebay and they were bringing very low bids. While the same pipes were being sold by a few vendors for a much larger mark-up. It appears that Jimmy has abandoned this practice, which never made sense to me (it devalued the brand, in my opinion).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I remember those auctions, now that you mention them. The fuzzy pics didn't help matters.
As for stems, mine is a 2011 or 2012 and it has a vulcanite stem. My Taylor-made Ashton had an Ashtonite stem, but it was an ELX and I just didn't smoke it much.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have a Craig Ashton blasted brandy that smokes well, as did two Taylor Ashtons that I once owned. If the drilling is good, and sometimes even when it is not, as is the case with a cob that I have that has a draft hole left of center, that also draws well and burns well; and if the pipe doesn't gurgle, I don't, frankly, understand what the constant references to a "good smoker" (I've read this so much, and without any explanation of this judgment that it makes me want to hurl), a "great smoker," etc., etc. mean. As almost all pipes are drilled reasonably, and have a space to stuff the tobacco, as well as a hole in the bit to allow a draw, the minimum requirements constituting a vessel that can be smoked, what is the basis for making these claims?
Similarly, claims that this pipe was "made for latakia," that pots are natural "flake pipes," to me seem entirely subjective. Now I also do feel that difference or cause will naturally have a correspondingly different effect, and that the briar and its curing, shaping, drilling, stem-making, especially the comfort of the stem, have the potential to be different in many small ways; and that thus when a smoker smokes a pipe, even two that are exactly the same model, and also machine made, and thus for the sake of argument very closely the same, subtle differences prevail in these two pipes and in their smokes. But to say that such difference amounts to a pipe "made for latakia," which in fact may be true for any one smoker, are anything but subjective seems to me invalid. Such a claimant has no ability to measure his estimation; and as the claim is not measurable, it is also not replicable, or not reliable.
For those of you who have studied why research properly conducted has power, reliability is one of its cornerstones. Unless others can get the same results as you, doing the procedure/study/experiment that you did, there's not much to talk about.
Not long ago I had a discussion with the venerable Pipestud about drilling. I maintained that differences in drilling must impact the smoke; he replied by saying that the smoke travels so fast that even if there was some millimeter of difference in the channel, it didn't much matter, and that a draft off-center was usually not meaningful but a high draft was. Thus even my most cherished notions about drilling couldn't predict how a pipe will smoke.
If you think one of your pipes smokes latakia like a champ, you sir are absolutely right, but only for you; your claim remains simply your claim, and to me you are simply trundling through the swamp of your subjectivity. As for me, trundling in my subjectivity, I'm off to read more pipe posts, trying to avoid the incessant claims that someone's new pipe is a "good smoker" when he doesn't know what he means by the statement nor why in this case he should say it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that's a lot to comment on 4noggins.
Speaking only for myself, a pipe I describe "as a great smoker" means:

- I can smoke a bowl with one match, or perhaps two.

- It isn't fussy on how it is packed.

- the button is comfortable in my mouth.

- it doesn't get overly hot in a normal cadence.
Not all of the pipes in my collection meets those standards. They may be pretty, but they are not all great smokers.
I'm off to read more pipe posts, trying to avoid the incessant claims that someone's new pipe is a "good smoker" when he doesn't know what he means by the statement nor why in this case he should say it.
Personally, I won't begin to tell someone that they are wrong about how they feel a pipe performs. Particularly on a pipe which I've only viewed on the internet.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ashton Fans: A pretty good deal on an Ashton Claret LX, Taylor is up on eBay with a very good BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251959680732?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Too big for me, dive in!

Mar 1, 2014
Now that I've done some filework on them I can confirm by two Ashtons are Vulcanite.

And the draw opened up immensely after smoothing the transition in the airway at the button..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Maxim confirms that the stems are now vulcanite. This possibly explains why I noticed an improvement in stem fitment from a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.