PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So my landlord is selling the house we have been renting. It is a bit short notice so we are searching for something within our budget as we only have a few weeks to find something. I need a garage or barn to put the pipe shop in too. Anyway I've been searching on c-list and I see this house with lots of land and a big garage but no price is listed, so I email the guy. He responds with this long email telling me about himself and his family and tells me he has a questionnaire to determine if we are the right people to rent their home. They didn't ask too many personal details but the whole thing is just weird. I looked up the address online, it is for sale. I called the real estate agent and she knows nothing about it being listed for rent. I got suspicious when he sent me a pic of (himself) doing missionary work in Africa. And a pic of his family. Cookie cutter looking family. Here is an excerpt from his email. There is more, the grammar and spelling is atrocious and reminded me of one of those, send $1000 to Africa in return for a large cash transfer or something. I'm thinking that this is where this is headed.
Thanks for your Response. l owned the house and I received your email correctly. I wanted to tell you a little about us as well so you can get a feel for who we are. I thought it might give you another look into my character and the type of person I am, which I know is very important to you. I have been married for 15 years with 3 children. my family and I We are very passionate about God's work. we decide to rent the house due to our Transfer relocating to North Caroline to preach the gospel in NC church. I have given myself to be obedient to God. I have decide to work for God as a pastor, changing people life's for good.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Oh Craigslist scammers.. will they ever stop?
Came across too many e-mails similar to that back when I was looking for a car a couple of years ago.
And trying to pull on emotional strings via religion is just sacrilege and ridiculous.
Best of luck to you in finding a place on such short notice, Dave. Kind of a dick move there by the landlord. The market seems to be fairly competitive right now, so if you find something, I'd suggest jumping on it quick.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That 100% sounds like a 419 scam buddy. I'm sorry you have to relocate suddenly. The same thing happened to me once. We had only a few weeks to move, and went to a house twenty miles away from my friends. It was south of Ft. Worth, TX in an ugly, hot, dry, flat barren area bereft of much natural beauty.
I decided, since I was stuck out there, and didn't have the patience to wait on seeing a possum or armadillo, I'd study bugs. I learned a lot about bugs. If you look them in the eyes, and talk nicely, and use baby talk to them (eg Who's a pretty bug? You're a pretty bug, hi pretty buggie), they turn, face you with their big eyes and look at you back. Very creepy at first. Spiders come over to you, and if you can calm the heebie jeebies long enough, will crawl on you. Made me think those crazy people that say plants can feel love might just be right.
I hope this works out for you. It might be a good thing overall. But your 'pastor' guy very much sounds like a 419 scammer, and I'd run from that deal.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
BECAREFUL there was tons of them when we were looking. We had one say they are over seas but wanted someone who would really take care or the place and if we would send them first last and deposit they would send us keys. I asked about the sign in front and he said oh don't call that we were gonna sell. I will put your family in my prayers that you will find something. How come it's always the nice people who try and get screwed? Wishing you and yours the best of luck!!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah Marine33. That is the gist of the rest of the letter. We haven't gotten to the sending money part yet. But yeah same idea.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've never rented before, but there's got to be a better resource than Craigslist. I would contact some reputable realtors; surely they must know the rental market?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
What a shame that God has been brought into a scam - and I truly believe that's what it is.
Take care and good house hunting.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Classic examples of the nigerian spelling english using auto-translate probably. The house rental scam is as old as the nigerian price with a bazillion dollars but doesn't have a bank account and can't cash the check. I actually knew a guy who fell for it twice, I had to cut him out of my life after I'd told him it was a scam and he still fell for it twice. That wasn't the only reason why but a good indication of his mentality.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
As a real estate professional I STRONGLY urge folks to not use Craigslist. Trulia and Zillow are pretty well respected sites and I haven't ever heard of an issue with a transaction from those sites.
"If you think its expensive to use a professional, wait until you use an amateur or try to do it yourself" :)

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Hm, craigslist, how early 2000's. I'd stay well away from that, my father always said if it was too easy or good to be true, it probably is.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I am happy for to tell you that it is Day of lucky for you! you can mail all pipe you Have and the leafs of tobacco to me. I keep safe for them until you find new house not to buy. I am currently visiting uncle in Uganda. my good friend please send pipe fastly.
I'm not a scammer. I just play one on TV. :lol:
Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear about your short notice. Best of luck in getting quickly settled into the right place.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Had the same thing for an apartment in Boston googled the guys name and found numerous people he had scammed... luckily I didn't lose any money.

philm68

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
It really makes me mad when I see this. I ran into the same problem looking for a beach house for my wedding reception. I'd say use zillow or forrent. If you have the change, tell a realtor what you want and where you want it and they will do all the leg work for you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That Craigslist scam has been around for a while here in these parts. Every once in a while someone falls for it and I guess someone makes off with the loot.

Status
Not open for further replies.