PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have heard impressive things about Steven Books's blends, but it looks like he no longer has a website. I recall a year or so back he had some sort of a hacking incident. Is he now completely off the grid? Anyone try any of his blends?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I believe he has a new site, though I don't know the URL. Here's his phone number: 503-828-8391.

Dec 24, 2012
Any of his blends you would recommend Jim?
This is the one that jumps out at me:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5134/steven-books-irishmans-5-oclock

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, I really liked that one. Here's my reviews of the ones I have tried. Never have I heard a single complaint with the quality of the product. Books uses tobaccos that are aged, some for more than 40 years. They are not cheaply priced, and if I had the bucks, I'd be buying!
Irishman's 5 O'clock:

Most of what can be said about this blend has already been written by previous reviewers. Every component is noticeable in virtually every puff. This is one of the most well balanced English mixtures I've ever smoked, though I think it's a tad sweeter than the old Balkan Sobranie 759. The Oriental and Turkish ingredients give a nice contrast to the latakia without overpowering the smokey, sweet taste. There's not one harsh note to be had here, and the natural Virginia flavors you come to expect are present in pleasing amounts. This may well be the smoothest all day English blend I've ever smoked, but that doesn't mean it's light in flavor or strength. If you're a dedicated English smoker and need a lat-bomb break, this may be what you should reach for, even if it is a bit pricey.
First Smoke of the Day:

A terrific four star blend if I ever smoked one. The earthy nuttiness from the burley really adds to this mixture. I was trying to figure out the other sweet flavor from the burley, and a previous reviewer suggested it was toffee, and I'm in no position to argue that. The Turkish is very noticeable and plays well with the natural taste of the Virginias and burley. I'd write more, but the other reviewers covered it pretty thoroughly, and I agree with them. First smoke of the day? Oh, no... you can smoke this any time, and it'll be great. It's expensive, but if you can afford it, buy it and don't look back!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I know three people whose opinions I trust who have smoked the For Meerschaums Only blends, and swear they are among the best they've ever smoked.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Mr. Books' blends are not inexpensive, but in my opinion, some of the best. For Meerschaums Only is heavenly! His aromatics are also terrific, if you like aromatics.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I'm a fan of his "For Meerschaum's Only" blend. I'm quite curious about his "Ancient Imperial" blend as well but at $65/oz it's a bit pricey for me. With 40 yr old Virginia, 38 yr. old Syrian Latakia, 40 yr old Turkish blend, 45 yr old Burley I can understand the price.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Much agreed. Some of the absolute best and unique blends out there.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Been smoking Grandfathers Own lately. An excellent aromatic! Steven was kind enough to make a follow up call to me, checking on my recent order ... and talking tobacco.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I was in Stephan Books shop in Oregon City about three weeks ago. He made me quite a few recommendations.
I walked out with an ounce each of "Young Masters" and "Legion of Honor" (both VaPer's) at about $9.00 per ounce each, but well worth it.
Stephan Books was telling me that he is teaching his daughter to blend, and hopes she will continue and become the forth of the currently only three female Master Blenders in the USA.
His brick and mortar, well its an old timey wood floor store, is doing great. His cigar selection is also great.

Status
Not open for further replies.