PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
Ok, stirring up a hornet's nest in the dark is no fun at all, but it affords us an opportunity for a unique experiment. I've heard it said tobacco is a good topical treatment for stings. Tonight we find out if it's just an old wives' tale. On my left index finger i have a bandage holding a dampened wad of dunbar to the sting. On my right forearm a wad of boswell's burley. The others will go untreated. Any guesses as to what results I'll get? Let me just add this - the finger hurts like heck so I figure that gets the good stuff.
Incidentally I was smoking a bowl of haddo's delight at the time the swarming started. after it happened i think i puffed my way through the remainder of that bowl in record time.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Damn lol
Sorry to hear about your encounter with mother nature. Hornets are afraid of cancer, and they were here first.
Hope the old skool remedy works for you! Be sure to report back.
No alcohol, that's cheating.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I really dont if it works.Old timers here in the south say that it does.The last time I got stung was 20 years ago.I had to go to the emergency room and get shots.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Tobacco juice; you have to chew it, then spit the juice onto the injury. Old-timers swore by this for a variety of ills...

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Maybe you are the trick is just to smoke another bowl... Seriously, please let us know the results. If it works I will happily put tobacco to use in this fashion.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Dibs on pipes and tobacco....you know, just in case it doesn't work out. :mrgreen:

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
well i have to say, no appreciable results from the tobacco application. i read online that the alkalinity of the tobacco juice is supposed to neutralize the acidic nature of the stings. but it may be that it was too long from the time i was stung until the time i put the tobacco on - about half an hour. i was on my way out to pick up my son when it happened and couldn't do anything about it until i returned from picking him up first.
i looked at the spot. a tomato plant in a large pot that got blown over in the storm is now sitting in a swarm of them, after i tried to right it. i guess either the nest fell into the garden along with a broken tree branch or something. i feel i got off relatively unscathed. now i got to figure out how to deal with moving that plant and getting rid of them.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
The previous posts about the "wet tobaccos" are correct.
Either plug or pouch tobacco chewed until nice and juicy, but not chewed out,

then placed over the sting. (Usually just spit on it)
Being from the hills of SE TN, I've seen it done.....

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Fyi for an asp or scorpion sting, a paste from baking powder and water works well. This will work on bumble bee sting as well.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
(Mike is secretly thankful he lives nowhere near the homes of fire ants, asps, or scorpions)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Last time I got stung I got hit 9 times. I chewed bits of Levi Garrett tobacco and placed small wads over the stings. I also took 2 Benedryl and chewed a wad of the tobacco to pass the time. I can honestly say that it helped short term with the pain and swelling, but seeing as I did a combination of things, that could have been a factor as well. I have used a baking soda paste on a wasp sting and that worked OK. My best results were from plain old mud compressed over a yellow jacket sting and soaking a scorpion sting in apple cider vinegar. Both of those methods yielded immediate success on their own. Can you tell I live in Texas?

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
(Mike is secretly thankful he lives nowhere near the homes of fire ants, asps, or scorpions)
Must be boring there...how bout rattle snakes & alligators?
LOL......
Unfortunately I left the "Hills of TN" and now reside in the SW part of Florida which is loaded with Fire Ants, Scorpions, Mosquitoes, Gators, Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, Bees, Wasps, etc, etc, etc..... and have had my share of bites and stings over the last 48 years...........
Happily I'll be heading back to the mountains early next year to get away from these damn things......... :)

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have a device that is essentially an intense battery operated light that looks like a square penlight. You hold it against the sting until the pain is unbearable, then remove it. The heat breaks down the venom and it stops hurting!! Another method is to use a hot cloth: http://www.ehow.com/video_4459532_use-heat-insect-bite.html
Sorry to hear about your run-in -- they're nasty creatures!

Status
Not open for further replies.