PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Smokingpipes.com got a boatload of vintage 100 y/o Ropp pipes in and several had horn stems, my first choice would not load but the rusticated billiard with white horn stem did so it's now mine.
0ef25c24c15d4efb2b9db36a15e8ea53efadf4e.jpg

banjo

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That would have been my choice also banjo, very nice. But I must also join davet in the resistance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ropp makes a nice pipe. My wife gave me a red stain straight apple last Christmas that I'd spotted on a kick-em-out deal at IR. It has a tight draw, but in a good way that delivers concentrated flavor without feeling stopped up. Are many, most, or most all Ropps made out of cherry wood? Someone mentioned recently that they do a lot in cherry, although I had assumed mine was briar 'til then. That's a beautiful pipe, fishn'. You have an artist's eye for these.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Ropp are famous for cherrywood but make briar as well.
Great pipe, love the look of it. Almost looks drum-blasted... Wonder if they found old pipes and rusticated them or was that done 100yr ago? Who knows, thanks for sharing Banjo!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I check these beauties out a few times but have yet to put one in the cart. Keeping my purse strings closed for now but may loosen them when the next batch is released. Enjoy your new old pipe. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I passed through the "enough pipes for my needs" point the first of the year, and since then have bought 10 cobs and a half-dozen briars. As we speak I am in a "no buying pipes phase" but by now know enough to know that I will resume. When I do I will check out Ropp.
Good one, banjo!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Here's the most recent thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ropp-horn-stem-pipes

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I check these beauties out a few times but have yet to put one in the cart. Keeping my purse strings closed for now but may loosen them when the next batch is released. Enjoy your new old pipe.
Well I couldn't resist anymore...there is a smooth horn stemmed bulldog due to land on my doorstep sometime this week. Will try to post pics when it arrives. :puffy:

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Horn stems offers different feelings. The first thought coming to my mind is that it will be more and more rare in the coming years.
Most of horn stems are now coming from old stock. I personally like the idea of natural origin, to my mind, it is in perfect communion with briar and compared to vulcanite, Lucite or Cumberland, horn stems makes more sense, on an esthetical point of view.
I am working on a series of horn stems right now and hope to release around twenty briar pipes of various shapes (all from preturned stummels), I will see if people can be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.