PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having got my sticky fingers on a good 2oz of McClelland Blending Perique (many thanks Paul) I am looking to experiment with knocking up a half decent VaPer once I have tried it neat (I have some drying for that very purpose).
I have in mind using some bulk FVF as my Va component and thinking of a ratio of 90/10. Does that sound about right? Also, would I need to press my mixture for a given period for the flavours to 'marry' or would just leaving it in a tin for a short while be sufficient?
I am looking to start by making only a small batch just to test out my ratio so having it dry out on me wouldn't be an issue as both components are pretty moist as they are.
For what it's worth I am a great fan of Sam Gawith's St. James Flake (and plug) plus I rather like McClelland's 2015 Virginia Perique Flake so that should give an indication of the 'type' of VaPer I am looking to mix. I have no idea what ratios the above manufacturers use so if you think my 90/10 ratio is too much or too little then please shout.
FWIW I was forewarned that Perique was somewhat smelly, gym shoes and sweaty jockstraps were mentioned and they weren't wrong...the stuff positively reeks...it reminds me of goat urine!
As ever, all tips and guidance will be most welcome :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Jay, I'd suggest doing 3 small test runs. Try the 90/10 ratio but also try a 80/20 and a 70/30. I use a 80/20 mix as a base and at that ratio I get some tongue bite if I do not smoke slow. By doing 3 different small runs you'll be able to pick up the nuances of the Perique at different levels. Me personally, I get nothing out of a 10% Perique mix.
You do not need to press the mixture

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jay, I'd say that jitterbugdude's advice on ratios is sound.
As for marrying, given that your tobaccos are pretty moist, give them a mix and then just squeeze them together in the hand and leave them in the tin for a couple of days. That should do it. You could press them, and that might give different results, but isn't necessary.
In my humble experience, Virginias and Perique go together so well that it's really hard to end up with a bad VaPer. The trick is just finding the ratio that suits you best. Even at 5%, the Perique will noticeably change whatever VA you're using, but at 20-30% you'll end up with a really plummy, spicy, rich VaPer.
Let us know how it goes.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If making a cake make sure those tobaccos are dry. I'm not a pro by any means, just a little experience. Also having very dry virginias then mixing the wet perique in causes the perique to really flavor the blend. Of course dry them good before smoking, This all can change with the leaf your using. I like a lot of perique, but I seem to go overboard, so toning down the perique is, to me, part of the fun, getting the ratio just right to change the Virginia.
Another cool thing to do is use a liquor, I like an Anisette. I think a dash of Pernod really sends the Vaper into another world. Have fun.

Reactions: ScienceSmoker

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Good advice Gentlemen! I would second that one must not be frightened by a healthy Perique content. I have started with just 10% but would go to 25% or more without hesitation. This goes a well for the liquor. I have got a little bottle of booze that I received as a present. Don´t ask me what it is but it smells like Perique tastes so this was a no brainer for me. Got nice results either.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well thanks chaps for the input, it's much appreciated. Last night I did a rough 90/10 mix (I used guesswork, no scales) and made sufficient for about five or six bowls. I have to say, smelling the mixture just now all I can smell is the FVF but of course the telling will be in the smoke.
Next time I will be more precise and use my scales which on reflection I should have done yesterday. I'm pleased that I don't need to press the mixture though it wouldn't be much trouble to do so. I like Pitchfork's idea of squidging up the mixture in my hands afore tinning it.
If this proves successful then I may venture out and introduce some Solani's Aged Burley Flake into the mix but first things first...I need to get a handle on the Perique itself.
Thanks again :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been thinking of doing the same but using McClelland's bulk 5100 red VA.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just a brief update. My roughly measured 90/10 mixture of FVF and McClelland's Blending Perique was a resounding success! Somewhat sweeter, a little spicy and a definite fruitiness was what I experienced.
I shall now do a measured mix of 80/20 and see how that goes :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just to say my 80/20 mix was much nicer than the 90/10 mix, the Perique was really coming through nice and fruity with a little pepper on the retrohale.
I have since made a 70/30 mix which is stewing away nicely in a tin where I shall leave it for a week or two.
Considering how unpleasant Perique smells, it amazes me how it just tastes so damned good :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Very interesting Jay. I am waiting on some perique to arrive and will be blending some myself. Keep us posted, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.