PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I am planning on growing some tobacco next Spring and was wanting to try and smoke it in a meat smoker. I understand that hickory is often used to smoke Dark Fired Kentucky and thought it might be fun to try mesquite or a fruit wood instead.
Have any of you tried smoking tobacco in a meat smoker?

Do you know of any problems with this idea?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This is something I have never done however I should imagine any kind of smoker would do the job just so long as there is sufficient space twixt the smouldering sawdust and the leaves being smoked. Variable ventilation would also be useful in controlling the smoulder rate.
Regards,
Jay.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think heat will be the biggest issue. At what temp is dark fired typically smoked? It is relatively cold compared to a home smoker, I would think.

Jan 8, 2013
I would think the heat from a meat smoker would be too much, extremely drying out or even cooking, or setting fire to the tobacco leaves. Generally, tobacco is smoke cured by hanging the leaves in a shed, or barn, or other such structure with the fire below them. It's mainly being subjected to the smoke, not so much heat.
cpg_5314c7e3b8b70.jpg

fire-cured-tobacco-barn.jpg

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I was reading an older book that mentions setting the cure color and raising the temp by certain amounts for various lengths of time. But it seems that the practice changed by 1934 when a slow cure method was introduced into common practiced. I haven't read anything more recent as of yet. Here is a short excerpt:
Tobacco heated over 100 degrees F. for any period of time never shows life.

In the slow curing method, temperatures of from 80 to 95 degrees up in the barn are maintained until the tobacco is cured. The natural oils are preserved and the tobacco still shows the life and stretch. If the right color is not obtained at the first coloring, it may be changed by ordering and smoking; whereas, if heated too hot these first colors are "set."

You can read more from the short book titled Curing Fired Tobacco by M.F. Williams 1934
Depending on the temperature and humidity the curing process can take from several days to over a week. I think you are right Aquadoc and Anthonyrosenthal74 the meat smoker would get too hot. It would also be too small to justify investing in that much smoking material. I think it would probably be best to devote a small shed to the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.