PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Embers gave me a hint on how to get rid of chatter in another post of mine. I do a lot of research, but didn't know about this one. He showed me a video of using a heat gun (or heat source) to the stem to bring out the indentations. I immediately pulled my Mountbatten estate with two giant tooth marks, and a few smaller ones and took to the heat. The before, top and bottom...
20190125_1210421.jpg

20190125_121058.jpg

This was my first stem repair using this method. I started first with my St. Dupont knockoff soft flame. I tried for maybe 20 minutes and not much happened except I broke my St. Dupoint knockoff. Only a month of use, but here nor there (the spinner keeps on spinning).
I then took a torch to it, started to scorch the tip of the stem, a little bubble. I took the micro mesh and it cleaned up quick, so said gotta keep going even if it happens. This one took a long time, maybe 2 hours. I even resorted to matches because all my lighters decided to crap out on me. If I end up doing this more, I may invest in a heat gun. I can imagine that makes it so much easier. Here is the result. There is still the smallest amount of indention, but I got a little tired towards the end. After this stem, I took to my new Scantic, those pics are in another thread.
img-0763.jpg

img-0762.jpg

img-0764.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad it worked out for you. I've been using that method for a while now with very satisfying results.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks Al, I thought there should have been another step to prevent the stem from getting out of shape. This stem was my first attempt at this. It is a pipe I dont smoke often since the bowl is so huge.
The stem did start to bend and I used a wet paper towel to cool and bend back. Next time I'll dip for a quick set.
I have a heat gun coming to the house, hoping it makes it easier than a flame.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Been doing this both using heat gun and candle flame with various results, generally speaking it worked out satisfactory on both ebonite and acrylic,nontheless,some shape distortion may occur,yet it might be advisable to insert pipe cleaner in airway in order to ensure the stem airway wont get flatten during the process,

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Repair looks good!
A pipe repairman showed me a trick on vulcanite stem tooth dimples. Light a match, lay the head of the match against the divot on top of the stem. The flame will be pointing up & away from the stem. Usually the indent will disappear in 5-8 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.