PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Wow, since December 28th I have picked up 17 Pipes. I may have a problem! Anyways, there are 4cobs, 3 Brighams, 3 Trypis, 2 Grabow (1 of which was an estate) 1 Savinelli, 1 GBD and 3 basket pipes. I think it's time to focus on the cellar for awhile. Although I'm doing okay so far in that department as I have about 8lbs at the moment. Man this hobby is addictive.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I know, I have to have some discipline now and stock the cellar, there's just so many pretty pipes!!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have 12 that I really like, the rest aren't worth anything except for memories, I think I'll keep them.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I "roll" pipes, I buy one and after six months or so, if I don't like it i sell it.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I've picked up five pipes since the beginning of the month. I'm trying to concentrate on the cellar though, tobacco will never be as cheap as it is today, and if there are large tax hikes'm or something else that pushes people from the hobby I suspect a lot of them will be selling off pipes and the marked will have very high supply and very low demand, therefor cheap pipes! I hope it does t happen like that and tobacco remains cheap and lots of new people pick up on the joys of smoking a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
17 is a nice rotation, you should be good for a while. I have been purposely been focusing on my cellar and have passed on a number of pipes I would have loved to own. The only pipes I will be getting are my commissions( 2 in the works) and if I can really steal one I will take a shot. I love looking at and buying pipes so having the discipline not to buy is difficult but I have been successful so far.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My wife says all the time she hates my addictive habit. I tell her its a hobby and the only addictive habit I have is buying pipes, pipe tobacco, and cigars. She says I have enough. I tell her there is no such thing as enough.
I have 20 pipes and I'm good with what I have at the moment, so I'm focusing on my tobacco cellar. Of course if the right pipe comes along buying is not out of the question.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If my McQueen ever comes in (not holding my breath) then it will be 18. My goal now is to buy $100 - $150 of tobacco a month to build up some kind of cellar. Kasmir, I'm coming after your Escudo record!!!! Ha, not likely as I'm only 122 tins behind :worship:

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
If you want to get a good jump start on the cellar get the bulk buys going. Example, I bought some Peter Stokabye PS7 Virginia long cut for $26 a pound. 5 pounds right there for your $150 budget. There are many more equally as inexpensive but you get the idea.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Man this hobby is addictive.
DAMN STRAIGHT! :lol:
Cutting into my hunting/fishing fund. After I pick up my Trypis pipes I'm done for a while! Sunk a few hundered into the car for some tires wasn't any help either. . .

Jul 15, 2011
Holy Crap I Have 17 Pipes!
I just surpassed the 60 some odd mark, and those are just the pipes that get used. Were not going to discuss the ones that need restoration jobs, repairs, missing stems, cracked bowls, etc.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A pipe is a thing of beauty and function. No wonder collecting is addictive. My "one pipe does all" theory went out the window after I saw what was available on the internet. Now it's bar the doors, Nellie !

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brian - it is SOOOO funny that you posted this because I was going to do the same thing at the end of the week. I just purchased this from Rich at 4noggins New Brebbia except I got the 623. I couldn't wait for that chinook and can get it later when P&C restocks.
That will bring me up to 17 pipes, 13 new acquisitions since MARCH !!!!!!! Included in my order from 4noggins is some tins and a bunch of bulk that I am going to start ball jarring. I also believe I have enough (until that chinook becomes available) and will also concentrate on baccy. Genius newbie minds think alike sir :puffy:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
LOL Dan, I like that Brebbia, very similar to the Chinook, very nice. Ya, I keep filling my cart at 4noggins and then deleting it, filling and then deleting. I'm going to wait until the end of this week, then put in a decent order. I plan on adding a couple of tins of Escudo to the 5 in the cellar, some Black Shag, and then trying PS LBF to see if I like it. If I like the LBF, which I think I will, then I'll order the 2lb box from Rich and a crapload of mason jars!!!
I'll share my notes with you when I'm done sampling as it seems we have similar tastes.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Please do and let me know how you think it compares to Escudo. Some experienced folks here told me not to buy a lot of the LBF because it is bland in comparison to the Escudo.
I bought 4 oz PS Proper English, 4 oz PS Balkan Supreme, 2 oz SG Squadron Leader, 2 oz of Carter Hall (for breaking in purposes), 100g FM Cellar, and a tin of Dunhill EMP, as well as some cleaners and other odds and ends. I like the Proper English a lot and you can't beat the price. That will take care of the 4 8oz jars I bought two weeks ago.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
And funny enough, my MacQueen Churchwarden just showed up to the office! I honestly wasn't expecting this thing to ever arrive based on my research and what I've heard other members talk about. Sadly only one month past due seems like a pretty good turnaround based on other's experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.