PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Greetings, folks. Lookin for some recommendations for the special blends, what are some of your faves.
Mike

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The three I usually partake of:
McClelland's Christmas Cheer, a Virginia blend of top quality tobaccos in a broken flake. It changes slightly every year.
McClelland's Holiday Spirit: Chocolate, nuts, honey, brandy or rum (I forget) aromatic.
Peterson's Christmas: changes every year, usually aromatic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wasn't happy with Petersons holiday blend for 2011, so haven't done holiday blends since.

To my taste, it was loaded with non-tobacco flavors including cinnamon and something

holly tasting, so the room note was exquisite and it bit like a viper. Just my reaction.

Those of the asbestos mouth might have no problem. Since they change annually, this

year's might be delicious, even to me. But I have plenty of tobacco-tobacco, thanks.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I bought some Christmas Cheer, but am currently letting it age a bit. I never equated catsup with Christmas, though. I did buy some H&H Eggnog (received 8 oz free when I bought a pound of Anni Kake), and I really like it. I think I'm the only guy who can smell the eggnog in it, according to the reviews, though. It's a pleasant smoke that changes flavor at least twice throughout the the bowl.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've only had Peterson's Holiday Season Blend. I've had the 2010, '11, and '12 plus I have this year's jarred up since it's only September. It changes year to year, but usually a solid aromatic with flavors of the season. This year's smells like a holiday cookie. Can't wait to try it out.
There are some other blends that aren't labeled for the holiday season, but their top dressings just remind of that time of year. Peterson's De Luxe Mixture is a very nutty blend that goes well with the season and so does McClelland's Easy Street and Mellow Mack.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I generally let the Christmas Cheer age 2 years on my shelf before I smoke it, but the tobaccos they use to make it are already aged quite a bit before they are packaged. The Ketchup smell doesnt carry over to the smoke, either. It reminds me of times when people saved their very best for the Christmas season, and I thing this is the one of the best Virginia blends out there.

PipesandCigars.com recently posted some Christmas Cheer 2011 on their site, and it was really good. I purchased 2 tins.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I will post one to stay away from Sam Gawith Christmas 2007
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=2933
Smells like a fruit cake, kinda tastes like..well I can't say that here.
Save your money, buy something else, or if you really want punishment, I can send you some, as I will never, ever smoke this again
Tom

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Ok, I'm a stick in the mud . . . when it's autumn, I'll try the Autumn Evening. When it's Christmas, I'll try the Petersons 2012 and 2013 blends. When it's my birthday, I'll try Bailey's Birthday blend. Right now, I'm still on Carribean nights and summertime blends.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My two all time favorites are Hermit Christmas 2008 and Gawith's 2006 Christmas offering. To me, a holiday blend has to have a favorable room note. It has to smell like, well, like Christmas. Christmas Cheer, to me is better suited for Christmas in July, unless it's very,very well aged. I have others in the cellar from McC, Gawith and hermit to keep the Grinch at bay but these two are the best of the lot IMHO.
Mike S.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been hoping for a good recommendation for a holiday blend. McClelland's sounds like a good bet. But it smells like ketchum?

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Like bullbriar, I have some H&H Eggnog. It is an aromatic, which I don't smoke much of, but it would make a great Holiday tobacco. And it's available in bulk(always a good thing). I can't seem to find any holiday blends with some latakia in them. Anyone know of any that would do the job? I've got some MacB Plumcake on the way, which may fit the bill.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Matt Robillard's MOJO is an all natural, mildly sweet, Virginia-forward blend, with Burley, Perique and deertongue.

Russ Ouellette's Capitol Stairs has the same ingredient list, with the Virginia and Burley switching roles: it's Burley forward.
Both blends contain deertongue -- an herb sometimes called vanilla leaf, or wild vanilla, because it emits coumarin's vanilla-like odor when the leaves are crushed. Personally I don't think it has a true vanilla flavor. To me it is a spicy but pleasant herbal aromatic that is at once sweet and somewhat piquant (hot, pinching). It seems to belong in the domain of the pastry spices analogous to cardamom, cinnamon, clove, etc.
As claimed, Capitol Stairs has the aroma and taste of French toast; but also, it reminds me of almond paste in a Danish sweet roll.

To me both blends are holiday treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.