PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Hi all guess I came a little late to the party, can anyone sell me some Hobbits weed by Tewksbury??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
4noggins has a match.
http://www.4noggins.com/4noggins-tewsbury-hobbits-weed-match.aspx

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I have some original I might be persuaded to let go of, pm me if you want to discuss. The match isn't identical to the original from what I've heard but just close

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Forum member sablebrush52 posted a recipe for the blend that he received.
The recipe I've received is 1/2 Lane BCA, 1/4 Lane Very Cherry, 1/4 Sutliff 1m Vanilla.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Yep that's the one that's going around and Dave Tewksbury himself has said that's not exactly it . Also read in an article he chose to hold on to the recipe In case the regulations loosened again; from the horses mouth! :puffy:

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have been tempted to try it, just from all of the hype about it.

My understanding is that it's a cherry/vanilla aromatic blend.

May 4, 2015
My understanding is that it's a cherry/vanilla aromatic blend.
That's what it is. It's pretty good, but there's nothing particularly special about it in my opinion. If it were called anything other than a "Lord of the Rings" blend, I refuse to believe it would be anywhere near as popular. (which I'm not begrudging it - it's helped a small business maintain over the years and I'm all for it).
Yep that's the one that's going around and Dave Tewksbury himself has said that's not exactly it . Also read in an article he chose to hold on to the recipe In case the regulations loosened again; from the horses mouth!
I would not be surprised if that was the exactly the recipe but Mr. Tewksbury was being coy in the interest of maintaining the mystery. If it's not that, it's something EXTREMELY close, so maybe when he says "not exactly" there is a proportion that's within fractions of an ounce either way.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I would not be surprised if that was the exactly the recipe but Mr. Tewksbury was being coy in the interest of maintaining the mystery. If it's not that, it's something EXTREMELY close, so maybe when he says "not exactly" there is a proportion that's within fractions of an ounce either way.
Perhaps. Although I did a side by side comparison of original with a so called "match" blend and they were definitely different. Not night and day, but there's something extra in the original.. whether it's a different ratio, or a little extra something, it's there, and I'd say it's a bit more than a fraction :puffy:

May 4, 2015
I don't think the recipe that was posted was for the "match," so I can't comment on that, ie. we're talking three different things. The original, the match and the recipe.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Ahhh I see my friend. I guess that's kid of what I mean; we have the Original, and now at least two versions that are not the original. All are going to be different ... :crazy: for me, the original tastes and smokes the best.

May 4, 2015
And you're convinced 1/2 Lane BCA, 1/4 Lane Very Cherry, 1/4 Sutliff 1m Vanilla isn't the original, or have you tried that?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have some of the original and I bought the components to mix up a batch, but haven't yet done so. When I shared the formula I merely stated that it was what I had been given and the source claimed it came from Tewksbury. Hobbit's Weed was mixed from readily available commercial products, nothing proprietary. I think I'll mix up a batch this weekend and compare it for myself. I'll see if I can find that thread as there was some further discussion regarding the components used. All that said, Contempt prior to investigation is pointless. Who knows, maybe it will taste different and I'll like it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.