Historically Speaking? Way out of left field here...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Was checking out the SCA and thinking about joining and it raised an interesting question in my mind, the first pipes I can find info on in Europe are clay's in the early 1500s. I can't seem to find any references to pipes prior to that, but come on mans been smoking leaves out of things since fire was discovered so there must be something right? Now I am looking primarily in Europe since the particular style of pipe is vastly different from earlier preexisting pipes(IE: the Native American stone pipe or the straight Asian Style pipes) So does anybody here know of some early protopipes from Europe?

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Wasn't tobacco brought to Europe from the new world? I'm not sure what other products they smoked before then, but that might be a good angle to research from.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Alright, I did find that in my google search. Wasn't sure though. I'll have to delve into the website.

Thanks

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I remember the SCA doing a bit of showing off at a Dungeons and Dragons convention I went to when I was a teenager.
It's like Renaissance Faire, but taken a bit more seriously.
If I was trying to "look the part" I would use a clay pipe. I'm pretty well convinced that briar has been used for quite a long time. It grows naturally near areas of the world that have been populated and/or civilized for thousands of years.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Never really had the time to play in the SCA, but I have friends who do...
And yes, tobacco per se is a New World product. Didn't get introduced to Europe until after Columbus, so late 15th/early 16th century.
I used to know a guy who claimed to be making authentic Anglo-Saxon incense, which was burned on bits of charcoal - and another guy who claimed that the Finnish saunas often used aromatic herbs on the hot stones, but that's as close as I recall anyone getting to smoking pre-Columbus in Eary Modern Europe. I sense a research project. :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sir Walter Raleigh (1554-1618) popularized tobacco in England, so late Elizabethan, which is post-SCA. if you are going to be historically accurate (something I don't believe SCA is noted for), you won't smoke if you are portraying a character from an earlier time period.

My daughter does French and Indian War re-enacting (mid 1700s), and some of those guys smoke. F&I is popular in my part of the country, and of course there is Rev War and Civ War stuff.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Briar pipes were an advance of the 19th century.
This is from Iain Gately's "Tobacco":
"Some years after [Napoleon's] death, a Bonapartist pilgrim to the tyrant's birthplace in Ajaccio broke his pipe and requested a passing Corsican peasant to make him another. The peasant carved the pilgrim a pipe bowl from a local wood - Erica Arborea or 'bruyere' - which functioned as effectively as his broken meerschaum. Inspired, the pilgrim sent samples of the same wood to his usual pipe-makers in St-Claude, near France's Jura mountains, who realized their potential and manufactured them commercially. Briar pipes, as these wonders were known in England, became available in the 1850s and were an immediate success."
You can come to one of two conclusions from this passage: there was an isolated Corsican tradition of briar pipe making OR the Corsicans simply used the wood for another purpose and this individual became creative when he was commissioned to carve the visitor a pipe...
The quote does, however, demonstrate that meerschaum pipes have been commercially available for longer than briar and that briars were not mass produced until the middle of the century.
Unless you are portraying the character of a Mediterranean peasant after the introduction of tobacco to the Old World then there wouldn't be a chance that one was smoking a briar...

Status
Not open for further replies.