PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
The way I see it. I can keep my tobacco in Mylar ziplocks in a Spanish cedar humidor, with a boveda pack, or heartfelt beads. To keep the RH up.
I age my cigar humi's at 65 RH.

And transfer to a 70 RH a week before I plan on smoking.
My question is what is a good RH to store pipe tobacco?

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I kept my cigar clippings in a small jar in my cigar humi. 65rh

When I tried to pack it to smoke it was drier than a popcorn fart.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Now I wish I could find the place where I read that, and he said that the cigars had to be higher humidity, just can't remember what that figure was.
I think this was it off the Neptune site, and 74% was in bold font.
"t is important to maintain your humidor below the maximum temperature of 73°F (23°C) and between 65-74% humidity. Ideal conditions are 70°F (21°C) and 70% humidity. We recommend having a digital hygrometer/thermometer to better control the temperature and relative humidity inside your humidor."

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Different pipe tobaccos seem to smoke their best at differing humidity levels. I would just jar your stuff to preserve the original humidity, and then dry as required, depending on the blend. Pipe tobacco generally likes to be relatively dry so as not to smoke like a steaming mess.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Different pipe tobaccos seem to smoke their best at differing humidity levels."
Very true but most benefit from a certain amount of drying. Samuel Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth blends more so than others.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Different pipe tobaccos seem to smoke their best at differing humidity levels. I would just jar your stuff to preserve the original humidity, and then dry as required, depending on the blend. Pipe tobacco generally likes to be relatively dry so as not to smoke like a steaming mess.
The 60% RH is a decent target for smoking the stuff, but store it as it comes. As a side note, many Esotericas are shipped at the 90% level, and Dunhills over 80. So, in my book every tobacco gets dried down a bit, some way more than others .YMMV......

May 4, 2015
and Dunhills over 80
Is this true? Every Dunhill tin I've ever opened has been perfect to smoke from the second I've opened them (even Flake). Maybe I've been missing something this whole time!

Status
Not open for further replies.