PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2019
The title says it all, as looking to get the most bang for the buck.
Thank you to all active forum members for making a wonderful place to learn and a great resource.
In love's wisdom,

Christopher

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cornell and Diehl bulk burley blends are high in nicotine and there's a bit of variety to be had. They're about the same price as 5 Brothers, which is also a good choice.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 for 5 brothers. I find it pretty harsh by itself, so I usually cut it w/something else to soften the blow, haha.
I'll also throw Erinmore Flake in this category. To me, it's punches pretty hard.

Royal Yacht also falls in this category, but sadly, it is no more.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Cornell and Diehl bulk burley blends are high in nicotine and there's a bit of variety to be had.

Yes. There's been more than one occasion when I spent the day smoking these and wanted to eat something but just couldn't get enthused enough to do it. That's about the extent of my nicotine detection - no buzz, just hungry without an appetite, if that makes sense. To me, these blends are deceptively potent.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Daughters & Ryan Picayune, 16 oz bag or bulk - under $2/ounce.

Burley, Oriental, Perique, Virginia.

Strong to very strong.

Like all D&R tobacco it comes dry (as does Five Brothers), so you pay for tobacco, not water. I prefer to rehydrate Picayune & Five Brothers. Rehydrated they smoke slower, cooler, & more flavorful.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm a degenerate nicotine addict, so I often don't notice nicotine in pipe blends. Here are some that knock me on my ass, though:
Gawith, Hogarth & Co.: Their ropes, along with the Dark Flake/Plug/Kendal Dark/Kendal Kentucky are incredibly high octane. I really like Dark Flake Unscented a lot. Unfortunately, these are frequently out of stock online, but some B&Ms carry them as well. Available in bulk at slightly higher than normal bulk prices. Still relatively budget friendly.
C&D Old Joe Krantz: This is readily available and at good bulk prices. Sour, musty and strong as hell. When I feel that catch in my throat, I know I've just bought a one-way ticket to woozytown. Good stuff!
Any bulk Dark-Fired Kentucky blending tobacco: DFK is strong. I haven't tried it, but I see Stokkebye offers a DFK blending tobacco. It would surprise me if it didn't have a nice kick in the ass waiting for you.
As I try to ditch the cigarettes, I should be on the lookout for these as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All of the above. On the C&D menu, I like Old Joe Krantz original (there are several versions of different strengths now), and Billy Budd with cigar leaf, but if you are shopping specifically for nic-kick, perhaps Big'n'Burley and Dark Burley are a little stronger. As everyone says, Five Brothers.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Here ya go $17/lb. It's whole leaf so you can do anything you want. Make plugs or ropes. Shred it and smoke straight or blended.
https://www.leafonly.com/pipe-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/nicotiana-rustica#tabReviews

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Cottonboll, Red Oak, and Mammoth Cave twists rank pretty high on the Nico-meter.
Made for chewing. But when dried a bit and smoked, hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.