Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Registered myself, and just wanted to say hello and thanks for having me. I've been enjoying the posts here.
I'm 26, and from northern Illinois. I'm a military vet, have finished school to become a radiologic technologist (working the same old security job until I can find work doing that), and I run a micro art studio of sorts. I was inspired to smoke a pipe from my grandfather, like many others, I'm sure. Lots of fond memories of working in his garden with him as a boy and that smell of pipe smoke in the morning air.
He passed away a few years ago, and I came by a couple of his pipes and some old empty Dunhill tins. Thanks to the post on the P&C deal, I have a pound each of Early Morning Pipe, 965, and Nightcap on the way. Also found the three tins deal, ordered the same blends (I figured this would be a good way to transport a small amount of the bags around, with the majority of it going into mason jars, as I have read here.) Also a tin of the Dunhill Navy Rolls.
I'm hoping to find a few more corn cob pipes (I see Missouri Meerschaum has the big bag of seconds on their site.)
Aside from nostalgic memories, my main goal is to get myself off of the cigarette habit. I've read that burley has some success with that - so I have a pouch of Carter Hall and a bit of Classic Burley Kake coming too. Maybe I read too much, but I figured anything I can do to bolster my chances of success is a good thing.
Oh, and a tin of Distinguished Penguin for my girlfriend. She loves penguins, and seems interested in pipes too.
I don't mean to blab on too long - just thought I'd say hello, let y'all know a bit about me and what I'm up to. Thanks for having me here.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard Ravenwolf, and thank you for for your service!

It sounds like you've done your homework, and are off to a good start! The Dunhill MM965, Deluxe Navy Rolls and Nightcap you have coming are some of my favorites, as well as Carter Hall. The grab bag of MM cobs is an excellent investment as well.

Good luck to you, and feel free to ask any questions you have!
Oh, and get plenty of Mason jars for that baccy!

Dan

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a pound each of Early Morning Pipe, 965, and Nightcap on the way.
I hope you already know that you like those blends already. A deal ain't much of a deal if you buy a lot of something you end up not liking. :puffy:
Welcome to the pipe world and the forum.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome ravenwolf! I used the pipe to finally get away from the cigarettes,after over 30 years. Took a few months but it worked! Actually quite a few have used the pipe to escape the coffin nails!

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the forums. I am also trying to finally drop the cigarettes in exchange for the pipe. You will find a lot of support and answers here.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks for the kind welcomes, everyone!
Jud (and perhaps anyone else wondering) - yeah, I've dabbled with pipe smoking a bit in the past, and I know I like most of these blends (or roughly what to expect) :D
EJames, can I ask if there was anything in particular that helped you? I'm hoping to join that number!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome to the forum!
"I have a pound each of Early Morning Pipe, 965, and Nightcap on the way"
Nothing like jumping in with both feet, huh? ;) These are pretty unusual blends for someone who's knew to the pipe, but there's nothing wrong with that! (I'd suggest starting with the 965; it's the most like a standard English in this group. EMP will give you a sense of a more oriental-forward blend. And Nightcap will introduce you to perique.)
I've only smoked cigarettes as a pipe smoker -- i.e., not inhaling -- so I don't have any wisdom there. Sounds like you're definitely not alone in your desire to switch to pipes, though. I wish you the best.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can't believe I wrote about someone who is "knew" to the pipe. . . and I didn't catch it before I lost the ability to edit the post.
I *do* no how 2 spel, guise.
Bob

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Welcome Ravenwolf. I'm sure you will enjoy being part of this community and learning all about this lifestyle of ours. Those are some good blends you have picked out. Having participated in the 3 for 2 sale at P&C for Dunhill blends, I cannot participate in the 1 lb. specials of those three blends but there always seems to be something good going on sale at one or the other of one of the sponsors of this site.
Bob, did you mispel sumthin?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums Ravenwolf.
You have a much better head start than I did before I found this wonderful site. Enjoy jarring up that baccy and smoking it as well :)
Hope to see more posts from you soon.
Dan

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
20pschg.jpg

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome from England, Ravenwolf! MM965 is my go-to blend when I'm out and about as it's easy to pack - even in small bowls - almost never needs a relight and tastes consistently great. I confess I passed over EMP for GLP Chelsea Morning and C&D Morning Drive and I'm enjoying GLP Blackpoint as a prelude to braving Nightcap, but they're both on my list. Good luck to you with your new career - I'm sure it will take off.
Andy

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Welcome Ravenwolf!! and my biggest applause for your service!!!.
As a quitting cigarette smoker I always tell folks about aromatics. I smoke a chocolate flavored one called captains delight that was so tasty and good smelling that it inspired me more then anything else. I liked alot of the english blend and stuff that I tried, but none made me more motivated then the other.
Be prepared though. You shouldn't draw as hard as you are use to, and as I found the hard way you will need more then just a few pipes to make if work. I thought I could just have one and smoked it truly sour in like three days. Be prepared so you don't get discouraged to split your time between the two until you can build a rotation, and understand the maintenance with a pipe.
Although a lot of work, pipe smoking is AWESOME

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Welcome aboard ravenwolf...

When you jump into something you really jump in! I don’t believe I’ve ever purchased a pound of anything at one time other than coffee, but be that as it may. I’ve been smoking the cursed cigarettes for 50 years, albeit I did manage to stop for a two+ year period, but that’s another story and who gives a rat’s ass.
I’m not fooling myself into thinking that smoking a pipe will make me quite the cigs., (been there, done that way too many times) but it has indeed cut me down on them. Carter Hall is a good purchase and I have a good amount of it, but I really don’t enjoy it straight as it reminds me too much of cigarette tobacco with its taste (I honestly think one could use this tobacco to roll cigarettes), but I use it often to blend with various straight black Cavendish offerings.
As for the MM cob’s you can never go wrong and they are great smokers for the price and I have four of them myself outfitted with forever stems. Also, you’re quite a fortunate guy in having a girl who thinks that smoking a pipe is OK, much less being interested in them! If you really want to turn her on get yourself some Sutliff ‘Molto Dolce’ and she’ll melt in your arms!
Other than that, you certainly picked the right site as there is a plethora of information to be had here and the members are great and always more than willing to help. I just wish that I had access to such information back in the mid to late 70’s when I first tried smoking a pipe, and failed miserably at it due to ignorance and having no idea what the hell I was doing. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.