PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gailimh

Lurker
Aug 1, 2019
Greetings all from the prairies of AB. Brand new pipe smoker hoping to learn all I can about a potentially interesting hobby

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome from outside Toronto!
This is a very interesting hobby (although that term is debated here quite a bit), and you will find all your questions answered here. Have you bought a pipe yet? A tobacco to go with it? We are always here to help you spend your money!

gailimh

Lurker
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry if this sounds foolish. But my first real purchase was a Ash MacQueen Churchwarden. I've yet to go on the hunt for tobacco yet.

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
Not foolish at all - Just beginning your journey - Just been smoking a pipe about 2 months myself. Check out youtube and Muttnchop piper- He has some great videos for beginning pipe smokers. Everyone will highly recommend you stay away from aromatics for now - Fruit flavored tobaccos etc. They typically are high in sugar and burn really hot and can cause tongue bite. This can lead to a really nasty first impression of pipe smoking.
I have also found that a lot of your OTC brand tobaccos have not been as satisfying as some of those I have ordered online - Like Seattle pipe club plumb pudding. I have really enjoyed that blend. Now that may just be because the OTC brands i can get here are just not to my liking. You may find some that you really enjoy. idk There are a million options out there.
Either way - Welcome aboard and listen to these wiley ol vet's - They have a lot of really great advice.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Howdy from Ontario! Alberta has a decent pipe shop in Edmonton called Burlington’s on Whyte if you’re ever near by. Happy smoking.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello from Austin, Texas.
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska! The only time I spent in Alberta was a crazy ass night at the bar in the booming metropolis of Beaverlodge, Alberta while driving from the PA to AK to move my GF up. At that time I worked in the oil fields in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. There were some Alberta oil workers at the (only) bar that night. Needless to say, we bonded, and nobody left that place sober. I almost set our tent on fire trying to cook beefaroni right in the can at 2am that night. The campground did not appreciate the burnt patch of grass in the morning from the flaming propane tank I threw out the door in the middle of the night and forgot about. It didn't help that they discovered it because they were on their way over to inform me that there were campground toilets, and that I didn't need to urinate on their trees.
I am now an upstanding citizen and a fine tourist, I promise.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
A tourist trap in the prairies? I can't even think of what that would be, other than the Donut Mill in Red Deer. LOL. I'm about halfway between Calgary and Red Deer, and there's a smattering of people in Calgary and Edmonton I get together with once in awhile. I know a guy out in Cochrane too. But it's pretty thin on the ground out here, if you are hoping to bump into another pipe smoker on the street it'll never happen.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit!
Your post reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot. I believe, at one point or another in his storied career, he was Alberta Bound.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.