PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm an outdoor only smoker and generally enjoy a bowl during a walk, and maybe another bowl during a very long walk. The other day I was walking to work and as I was crossing the street a voice called out, "Hey Mister! Your Pipe Is Awesome!"

I turned in response to see a stopped driver with a grin on his face and and an extended thumbs up. I doffed my hat and raised my pipe to him and said, "Thank you!" as I continued across. I get quite a few friendly greetings from people in the neighborhood as I'm known as the "pipe guy" or the "guy with the pipe".
Anyone else have a similar experience to share?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I get similar responses quite often while walking my dog in the neighborhood. Sometimes kids think I’m smoking pot and I get the, “Right on man! You’re brave for smoking pot out in the open like that!” I have to dumb down to their level and explain to them that it’s not pot, what a disappointment, I know. I had one turd compliment me on my pipe and in the next sentence he asked if he could bum a cigarette off me. What? Maybe some people carry cigs on them while smoking a pipe, I dunno but I thought that was a silly question. I usually get nice compliments though, just thought I’d point out the moronic ones as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It occurs to me that many would be attracted to an occasional smoke that doesn't involve much psychoactive input. I suppose nicotine is psychoactive, but for many like me, not so much. I get the buzz, and it's okay, but it does not induce craving. If I drop the piping for a week, there's no effect. So I'd call that awesome. Yes. Of course, your admirer had no idea he was talking to Barling royalty.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice!

I'm known as the "pipe guy" or the "guy with the pipe".

I recall Cosmic stating a while back he was known as the "pipe guy" at an art show he attends. Then another guy with a pipe showed up known as the "pipe guy". Cosmic was defending his "pipe guy" title. Was that you? :puffy:

Reactions: OzPiper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, often complimented, twice scorned over the past 4 years or so. Today, at Whistler in BC, some kids said that, but possibly derisively. It's usually the hot chicks that comment, then say "Reminds me of my grandpa". Damn.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm clearly doing it wrong. I get told all kinds of things...... none are complimentary.
Once, again Jesse sets the standards that I fail to live up to.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
It’s funny, here in New York City I’ve only gotten a response once, as I am also an outside smoker exclusively.

They thought it was weed. Charlatans...

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I could imagine that your complimentor was a collector himself and did not simply give props to the fact that you were smoking a pipe but admired and recognized the beauty of your particular piece of briar...
The only time I was addressed for my pipe was, when I took a walk in the woods with a Castello clenched. A man said to me that it is a fancy vape, that I’m using. I answered that it’a actually a tobacco pipe. Then he told me, that he was a pipe smoker, too, in his early days, but he gave it up because of tongue bite. Also he told me that I probably will not believe him, but he knows that there are pipes called Dunhill, on which people are willing to spend several hundred EUR. I agreed, that this in fact is hard to imagine and went on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only positive comments here, and one time swamped by a group of young people who had never seen one before.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was sitting outside of my regular coffee shop yesterday morning and was complimented by an older man.

Its a very "liberal" neighborhood (which many reactionary people consider anti-tobacco) but I get far more compliments than complaints. Actually I cant remember ever getting a complaint. May be a Kentucky thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jesse: I know you purposely thought through your chosen title just to pull me into your diabolical plot. Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not going to mention about how often my pipe was complimented when I was younger. Nor, will I mention the acclaim I was subjected to for the way I laid ... Well, I'm just not going there.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Here in Sydney (down under...) I mainly get compliments or puzzled "I didn't realise people still smoke pipes" comments. I've had only two negative comments that I can recall in the last 3 years. Had a couple of people ask for a light; none has ever tried to cadge a cigarette (not that I have any). :puffpipe:

My wife and I walk our dog every evening, and have been for about 15 years, and I always have a pipe with me. I have had all sorts of positive statements tossed my way. Our local small town fish wrapper even did an article about "The Pipe Guy." You know it's a slow news day when they write a front page article about the guy smoking his pipe and walking his dog. But, it is encouraging when people say, "nice pipe," "that tobacco smells great," or "you look like you stepped out of the 40's." Ha ha.
I have never had a negative thing said about my pipe or smoking. It's not like it's a cigarette or anything. :puffy:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
About a year ago I started lunting around with my dogs every night. Now the neighbors all know me as the pipe guy. I get lots of, "So, what pipe are you smoking today?" I use it as an opportunity to educate people about the culture and hobby.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
There is a rap song from the late 90s here in Brazil called "Cachimbo da Paz" which means "Peace Pipe". Despite the profound name, its lyrics defend the use of illegal drugs and it's beloved by marijuana apologists.
So while I did have some positive interactions and compliments from strangers, sometimes a random person out of nowhere will try to sing a snippet of the aforementioned rap song as a conversation starter. That really makes me furious.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
marijuana apologists.
So while I did have some positive interactions and compliments from strangers, sometimes a random person out of nowhere will try to sing a snippet of the aforementioned rap song as a conversation starter. That really makes me furious.
Ive never understood the objection to and castigation aimed at cannabis among segments of the pipe smoking populace.

In some states like California where it has been long decriminalized it seems many vocal pipe smokers target their ire about tobacco taxing/legislation towards cannabis users.

Status
Not open for further replies.