PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootygrocery

Lurker
Jun 19, 2018
Hello Everyone,
Recently started started pipe smoking after 11 years of cigarettes. Been lurking the forums for a few months, but decided today I would be active. Initially I switched to vaping, but I found that vaping does not give the calming/relaxing buzz that I enjoy with smoking; if anything, it intensified anxiety hahaha. I made the jump to pipe smoking a few months later.
I have smoked cigars occasionally and improperly when I was in my 20s and it followed into my first experience with pipesmoking as well. I bought a 2oz can of GL Pease westminster and a few corn cob pipes (mizzous &country gent). I over packed 3 bowls my first day of smoking and had trouble keeping my pipe lit, so I naturally kept puffing trying to light it back up. This did not end well as I woke up in pain the next day as if I drank a cup of boiling coffee.
Learning from my mistakes, I took the time to learn how to pack a good bowl as well as not to destroy my mouth with hot smoke. I found that the buzz and effects I get from pipe smoking is far more satisfying than what I was consistently chasing with cigarettes. I went from half a pack a day of Reds to 3 to 4 small bowls (10-15 min smoke). Somedays I wont smoke at all.
So far I have smoked Lane 1-Q, Balkan Saiseni, and Westminster. Out of the three I would say that the westminster does fit my palate a bit better than the other two. I found the 1-Q to be a bit over the top and the Balkan Saiseni to be a "meh" smoke, so I did what any newbie would do and mixed them 1:1 ratio. It has been doing me well so far.

Im still fairly new to the game, but for me the Westminster tasted a lot better.
As for pipes, I do not find myself ever buying a pipe that cost more than $15 dollars. The MM cob pipes look awesome anyways. I know its a huge thing, but hey it's how I feel hehe.
Well that's all i got for now! I look forward to chatting with everyone

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!
I find that drying down the tobacco covers more ground than any packing method. Both are important, though!

Enjoy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As for pipes, I do not find myself ever buying a pipe that cost more than $15 dollars.
How many of us have said that? :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard bootygrocery!

bootygrocery

Lurker
Jun 19, 2018
I find that drying down the tobacco covers more ground than any packing method. Both are important, though!

Enjoy!
I did notice that the tobacco was a bit on the damp side when i first opened the tins. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind!
How many of us have said that? :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard bootygrocery!
LOL oh no.... Does everyone eventually go to the deep end of the pool? :lol:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
BTW, booty, you'll find most aromatics are subject to that. People use different methods. Spreading our for 15 minutes-a few hours is most common, but some use the microwave, some use the oven, & others (at least one that *I* know of, er, personally) just open the Ziploc bag & leave it in a hot car for a few hours.....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the tobacco pros de-emhasize pipes and focus on tobacco, so you're not in bad company. I love MM cobs but chew through the stock stems, so I buy the slightly pricier series with vulcanite or acrylic stems or refit them with Forever stems. I do have some briars, fine and fancy and not, but that's over years and with many gift pipes. Welcome.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I also dropped the cigs for the pipe. But in my case, it's not about any buzz or effect. It's about the taste.

After a good bowl or cigar, a cigarette tastes like a kid chemistry set.
Also, with a cigarette you smoke compulsively. With the pipe you won't find youself craving it, just wanting to find the right time and place to enjoy it.
Welcome to the forum.

bootygrocery

Lurker
Jun 19, 2018
I appreciate the warm welcome everyone!
Thanks for taking the time and giving me these important tips! Drying helped out ALOT with the tongue burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.