PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Surprise! Not that often that I get surprised, but after cleaning this up a bit, I have discovered that it is in fact a Clay. The stinger is a solid part of the screw in tenon, so, I just had to cut it off so it would pass a cleaner at mid-bowl time. I don't know what actually made me think it was a Meer in the first place. I must be getting old. The weight alone should have been an inclination. Anyway, I have several good Meers, so I am kinda glad it is a Clay. Smokes great.
001-10.jpg

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry guys, the mug is not for sale at any price. I had one for 10 years and it broke one day. Took 3 years to find this one. I only use 1 mug. It gets washed when the Wife prys it out of my hands or I am not home. I know, it's disgusting but........

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Man, I'd have a hard time guessing this pipe is a clay. What gives away that its clay ? I've never seen a clay styled this way, and rarely ever see one with walls so thick unless its double walled. I'd first wonder if its just a strange form of pressed meer, maybe harder or heavier than normal. So hard to tell without having it in hand, but curious what has you convinced its clay.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
If I had to swear, I would say thats a meer as well..... for the simple fact that I have never seen a clay with that much detail.
oh and btw Im a one mug kind of guy as well... I have a "Guinness" mug that only I use for my coffee and tea :)

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hmmm pressed Meer you say? Maybe so. I didn't like the draw on it when I first got it so I tweaked the draught hole a mite. The residue that came out was a Grey powder, which is akin to Clay. When the pipe gets warm from smoking, If one places tounge on the outside of bowl, it sticks the same as a Clay. Also too heavy for a block Meer. If one uses the spoon, to gently rub the inside of the bowl, there is more of a gritty sound/feel than one gets with a block Meer. Just all these add up to Clay rather than Meer. I suppose one can't rule out a pressed Meer crap though

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
@!#% the site ripped out half my reply!
I thought this was funny. From a book called Tobacco Leaves (page 31).
"I care not for your meerschaum pipe,

Tho' carved with cunning hand;

With amber tip for dainty lip

And bright with silver band.
The modest, simple, homely clay,

I prize above all others;

A common earth has given us birth,

We own the bond of brothers."

Status
Not open for further replies.