PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the last two days I have been the happy recipient of a generous selection of vintage tobaccos, courtesy of Neverbend, a new member here, but not new to pipes and tobacco. He's probably forgotten more about pipes and tobacco than I will ever learn.
Yesterday brought a 100 gram tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee from 2009, a quantity of Elephant & Castle Deerstalker from 1986, and today brought a quantity of Rattray's Black Mallory from 2000. The Black Mallory was so delicious in scent that I had to try a bowl of it. Pure heaven, a gentle smoky savory blend.

The Elephant & Castle will wait until this weekend when I have time to just savor it. Then comes the Red Rapparee. Woo hoo!
Thank you Neverbend!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
A damn fine display of generosity, Neverbend, you are a true scholar and a gentleman. I would like to try ANY blend from 1986, i was two years old when it was sealed up in its container, lol!!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sable:
Thanks so much for mentioning the Black Mallory. I have a 1995 tin that's going to get opened next year, when it turns 20. It's very good to know that I have something to really look forward to! (Assuming mine's been as well-kept as yours.)
I've had aged Deerstalker from that era -- as well as fresh during that era -- and I was amazed at how little it had changed over that time. It's a terrific straight Virginia, but I had expected some deepening sweetness and some mellowing. My tin smoked exactly as I'd remembered it tasting back in the mid-1980s. Assuming the tin's in good shape, I think that blend could be safely cellared for another 20 years! :)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.