PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I've been blending some of my tobacco lately, mostly in order to experiment with flavors. I'm finding that a certain combination of baccies yields a fair amount of bite when those same tobaccos, smoked by themselves or combined differently, yield no bite at all. Assume I'm using similar ratios and smoking each bowl at the same rate.
1. Peterson University Flake (PUF): no bite

2. 2/3 PUF + 1/3 McClelland's Vanilla Black Cavendish (VBC): no bite (by the way, this is a great combination).

3. Mac Baren's Golden Extra (MGE): no bite

4. 2/3 MGE + 1/3 VBC: significant bite
So, there is something about the last combination that yields a fair amount of bite, or fails to remove the bite VBC alone produces. Not sure why this is the case, especially since (2) contains more Virginia than (4).
I've run the experiment a couple of times now, with the same results. Any thoughts as to what might be occurring?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
whereas the vbc in itself has a bite perhaps there is not enough mge to offset it ??? whereas not as much puf in # 2 required to mask the vbc just a theory. Try reducing the vbc in #4 and increasing the mge just for the heck of it and let us know how it goes; im thinkin the mbg is mellower than the puf hey this is a fun thread!

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
Is the answer 7?

I kid...

I think it has something to do with a chemical reaction that happens between the two different tobaccos upon being burned.

EDIT: saw romeowood's post, and seems that this conclusion has already been reached.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
futureman - I'm curious to know if that 'significant bite' mixture of MGE and VBC gives the same taste and bite consistently ... if it's the same three fills in a row, I'd say you've stumbled on to something.
This is where I add the disclaimer that I don't know anything about blending tobaccos. Just an observation :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.