PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Good afternoon from across the pond chaps!

In another threads someone asked me to let them know wot I thought of my blends that I received. Now I tried my best but I'm an amateur and was quite vague.

Can you help me please?

What's techniques do I use to taste properly?

What do individual tobacco groups generally taste of e.g. Virginia's burly..........?

I find the taste changes throughout the bowl. Is this right?

What else should I try and notice/recognise/mention? Anything You can tell keep really. I'm really interested and wand to contribute :P

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
lol I am pretty much the same is you at the moment I am to new to really know what I am describing amd what is good or not ... at the moment its pretty much what I enjoyed and what I did not . the only helpful comment I can make is about the taste throughout the bowl ... it most definitely changes the further into it you get ... lol not much help I know but I will be watching this thread with you to see what I can learn

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for posting up seamusjft. I edited the thread title so it is not ALL CAPS. We try to avoid that for aesthetics. (It's YELLING!!!)
I have three recommended links that may help you.
This one will give you basic understanding of the basic differences in different types of tobaccos.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods
This one is a great guide on how to review tobacco.
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/reviews-without-tears.php
Check out the review archives. Reading other's reviews may help too.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/category/pipe-tobacco-reviews/

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Thank Kevin. I only capitalised cos someone told me to the other day lol. I believe your head honcho tho? So I'll go with you. Thanks for the edit. I normally save capital letters for when I'm texting my x wife :rofl:

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
I thought I only did that. It annoys the heck out of her so I do it all the time. Thanks for the links Keven.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
It's always a good idea to annoy the ones we love or used to love. Just remember you have to sleep sometime. :twisted:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
What's techniques do I use to taste properly?
- Light the tobacco and puff slowly on the smoke.
What do individual tobacco groups generally taste of e.g. Virginia's burly..........?
- Compare the smells/tastes you encounter to things you know. People want to know about the flavor, which includes all of the senses, as well as the taste on your tongue.
I find the taste changes throughout the bowl. Is this right?
- Absolutely! Tobacco can be funny that way.
What else should I try and notice/recognise/mention? Anything You can tell keep really. I'm really interested and wand to contribute
- People like to know the appearance of the blend, color and texture-wise, the smell if the tin/pouch note, how it tastes/smells on the charring light vs. the true light. Tobacco can be sweet, spicy, smoky, tart and a million other things, just like food. Just be honest. How well and evenly it burns is important, too.
Here is the first review I ever did and I was pretty new when I did it. Came out pretty well though. http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth--home-magnum-opus#392

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
+1 baron.
Although, as a new smoker I would also suggest that you probably need to break your pipes in a bit before you start getting the real flavours of the tobacco...

Status
Not open for further replies.