PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Hello Sunday Pipers,

I recently aquired an odd Meershaum pipe that looks like it may be a hobby block with crude sorta Easter Island type face.

My first issue with it is the (seemingly poor quality) stem is stuck in the mortise like it's glued, whether it is or not idk. I wondered if there are any techniques for freeing it without potentially damaging the stem and meer. Or is this a misguided pursuit and I should move to the next project and send it to the interwebs (ebay) ?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I figured that would be the case. I don't do this photo hosting business. I do have pics though so if someone wants to be a good Samaritan a d let me email them and then post them for me I'd appreciate it...

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Put it in the freezer 2-3 minutes, immediately oppose the outgoing tube of scum if warm water, with a little luck the difference in temperature will cause the foam to expand with respect to the contracted tube.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, (-600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What's with this talk of scum? Where did that come from?

If your pipe is a carve-it-yourself meerschaum, the stem may have been permanently glued into the shank. That's the impression I got of some of those pipes -- though I've never seen one in person. I have no advice beyond the freezer trick, but be careful.
By the way, the sculptures on Easter Island (Rapa Nui) are called Moai.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I don't think I would put in the freezer. Might be best to figure how to post a pic for a little better look at. Just sayin...

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Ok I don't think it worked. I got up to copy image location and I don't have that option on this device. I can copy and paste but it won't paste it, it shows diagonal lines on the pic in my clipboard. I chose the closest option which was save url or something and no good. Peeple can view my album though no?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
As for the scum thing idk what that was about I was asking the poster what he meant. (Fourth post in this thread)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Egg- You were almost there.
4.) With full size image in view, Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
Just those last few steps to embed the image to make it easier for all to see.
Sorry can't help with stem, though I just got three more beers, damn auto correct, you know what I mean, meerschaums!

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Shanez: thank you vedy much.

Jpmcwjr: the problem is I'm not using a pc OR Mac. I may have to fire up the old lap top just for this facocta forum site.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Water does not break the meerschaum ! It is porous, it will be enough to let it dry.

Normally the pipes are never glued, it is a small sleeve which is glued, in which slides a small tube fixed at the end of pipe.

(But this one seems quite rustic ...)

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I appears to me that the carver used a hacksaw to fashion this pipe and got discouraged and didn’t finish it. If you get the stem unstuck you should finish it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It can be done from Imgur on an iPhone, but is pretty fiddly. I've uploaded from the phone to Imgur, but then go to the laptop to embed in thread, seems easier, but I use my laptop a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.