PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpat001

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
I am new to pipes and pipe tobacco and I have smoked some cigars and I don't like a harsh tasting cigar and I have seen these 2 tobacco samplers on sell for $22.50 what do all of you think about them or any other suggestion.

#1 The Sutliff English Pipe Tobacco Sampler includes:

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Bershire Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock R-Blend Regular Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Field Master Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Westminster Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Blend Pipe Tobacco 1.5oz Tin

or #2

The Sutliff Aromatic Pipe Tobacco Sampler includes:

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Blue Danube 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Charlemagne 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Metropolitan 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Spinnaker 1.5oz Tin

1 - Sutliff Private Stock Alexander Bridge 1.5oz Tin

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the forums, gpat01, and to the wonderful world of pipes and pipe tobacco...
Roth's suggestions are based on considerable experience, and well worth consideration. As a n00b myself, I'd encourage you to consider #1 - getting a broader range of tobacco types will teach you more right off the bat than getting a bunch of samples of a single type. Personally, I'm the sort of obsessive nerd who likes doing research, so I actually wound up doing suggestion #3 on my own, but if you're more gregarious, Rich is a good bloke, too. :D

homerd

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
I just wish someone gave out free samples so I don't have to waste money online and at smoke shops .. Just a pinch of everything and Im sure i will find what makes my day.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I just wish someone gave out free samples so I don't have to waste money online and at smoke shops
1) There are a few blenders / manufacturers that give out free samples. If you really want them do a little research on the PM forum and you will find them. They have been discussed at length.
2) Just about every B&M is willing to fill a bowl or two from their bulk selections while you are in their store at no cost to you. Just return the favor and buy something. Also, every on-line retailer will throw in a sample or two of bulk tobaccos into your order if asked nicely.
3) I don't really consider it wasting money. Your tastes will change over time and the tobacco (if stored properly ) will not go bad. So if you buy something you don't like, save it for later or give it to someone who will enjoy it.
4) Just like at the grocery store, you can't go around opening every package trying everything until you find what you like. You buy a small amount to try at home to see if you like it. Sure they offer samples of new products every once in a while, but there would be nothing left on the shelf if they gave away free samples all the time.
My suggestion is to read reviews and tobacco descriptions and look for something that peaks your interest. In the end, just dive in and try something. If it was easy, it wouldn't taste to so good once you do find what you like. That half the fun.
@gpat
If you have no idea what you like, samplers are a great way to go and SPS are probably some of the most under rated blends out there. I have recently popped a few tins I have had for quite a while and thought I was an idiot for not trying them sooner. pipesandcigars also has a really nice selection of samplers that have put together. One of the nicer ones (rothnh discussed above) is the Hearth & Home sampler, which to me is probably the best deal for samplers.
Pipeandcigars Samplers
Pipesandcigars Herth & Home Sampler
Welcome to the forums homerd and gpat.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
C&D has a build-your-own sampler:

We offer a Trial Pack, (5 blends, 2 ounces each, you pick'em, including premium blends - pressed, too, if it's available) for $35.00, or 8 blends for $43.00 plus S&H. The trial pack may include C&D tinned tobaccos, GL Pease tins, Two Friends blends, and Hermit Capt. Earle blends but the sample will be 1 ounce.
You have to order over the phone, which is great, because they help you with your tobacco selection.Telephone: 800 433 0080 (same in Canada)
Pipeworks & Wilke also has a sampler:

If you would like to become acquainted with Pipeworks and Wilke's fabulous tobaccos, I suggest the tobacco sampler. Choose four different tobaccos from the website and I will send you a two ounce pouch of each blend. (If you cannot quite narrow your selection down to four blends you are more than welcome to add as many as you like for an additional charge per blend).. After sampling these fine tobaccos you can decide which are your favorites.

1-802-661-8339

1-800-832-8309
I have never tried P&W's tobacco but, have heard nothing but great things about Carol and her quality tobacco. Like C&D, you'll have to call Carol.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Recently received a 25 dollar amex debit card for filling out a survey and immediately knew it would go to TAD. Today I ordered the English Sampler listed by OP and got free shipping! 5 tins for under 25 dollars is a great deal in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.