PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Ok, so here's the issue. I inherited some of my grandfathers pipes and associated accoutrements, and one of the things included was a jar of his tobacco. He only smoked one brand, and no one can tell me what it is. My father and uncle can't remember the brand, and I have no tins, bags or labels. Is there a way to identify it? I am pretty sure that it is an OTC blend or a B&M blend....I am no where near where he lived, and even if I was, I know for a fact that the store he bought from is closed. He would always go and buy a big bulk about once every 6 weeks and it's the only brand he smoked, whatever it was. I love the smell of it as it's being smoked and I put a pinch or two at the bottom of the bowl after smoking out in the garage, which is where he always smoked, and enjoy it for a few minutes. I'd love to be able to get some more of it, if it's still even produced. Anyone that knows of a way to solve this problem, I would be indebted to you. Cheers!

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
It’s not so much caramel/vanilla as a dark nutty smell while being smoked......but my palate is not that sophisticated yet so take it for what it’s worth. Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now that sounds like a good burley forward blend. Are there any black ribbons in that blend?

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
There are some yes. It’s pretty dried out as the jar he had it in wasn’t sealed very well, but he bought a bulk bag and smoked it all then replaced it. Old school style. He would buy one or two pipes and smoke them till they blew out. He kept a box with a bunch of cracked and blown Kirsten replacement bowls.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could be Walnut then. Discontinued, but the match "Chestnut" is available from Pipes and Cigars.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
PipesAndCigars is currently running a 15% off sale on bulk tobacco. This is a good time to sample an ounce of everything that seems a likely candidate based on the info you can gleen from product descriptions.
You can start by focusing on Lane and Sutliff offerings. 1-Q and Burley Light Without The Bite (BLWB) seem likely to me, but there are a lot of possibilities.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd think of this as both a survey to see if you can pick out which blend it was, and a sampling to see what you like, whether you can find gramp's smoke or not. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half-and-Half, Granger, and other over-the-counter blends are possibilities. Did he buy it from a pipe shop in ziplock type bags, or did it come from the maker in a sealed bag? It's a question you might ask family who might remember. If it came in a sealed bag of 12, 14, or 16 ounces, that would be another clue. That's a different set of tobacco, but many of the standard bagged blends are readily identifiable. It's an intriguing mystery, but meantime, decide what it is, of those you try, that you like. Welcome aboard.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I asked around and no one remembers what it was, what it came in or anything. One of my uncles thinks he might have something in a box but he’s not sure where said box is, so I told him not to stress it. I will definitely be ordering up some samples of everything listed and once they get here I can let you guys know how close/far off something is and i’ll Keep it going. Thanks for the info so far!

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I would recommend finding your local tobacconist and bring the jar in. Good chance they'd know in a heartbeat. Or maybe ask for a pipe guy here who's been smoking for decades to volunteer and send him a small sample to help identify it for you. Good luck.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Send some to JimInks. If the amount of tobacco reviews he has written is anything to go by I'm sure he will know what it is. The man is the Isaac Asimov of the tobacco review world.
Other than that, it's a good excuse to order and smoke every blend under the sun.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I took jazz's suggestion and got hold of Jiminks and sent him a sample. He has concluded that it is Lane RLP-6, and I have ordered a sample to try for myself. I have faith in the fact that someone with a better palate than me has figured it out. I just wanted to update the group as I know I don't like it when people leave threads open with no resolution. Once I get my sample I'll let you know what I think in comparison. Cheers!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I would suggest visiting your local tobacconist with a small sample of the tobacco. He may be able to identify the content and perhaps suggest some replacements. That is if your local tobacconist is any good, unlike mine ... a couple of middle aged ladies that know less about tobacco than a bonsai tree...

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would trust Jimink's opinion on most if not all things pipe tobacco related. Enjoy years of smoking some in your grandfather's memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.