Help Wanted: I Need Pipe and Tobacco Suggestions..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinhead

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Currently the only three tobacco's in my rotation have been:

Captain Black Royal

Captain Black original

Dunhill London Mixture
I currently have:

3 MM Cob pipes

1 Yello Bole Burley(bent stem) for aromatics

1 Brigham Mountaineer 316
Can anyone please suggest other pipes. And suggest please some tobacco.

I find Dunhill pleasant. I have been favoring however Captain Black.

If that makes any sense?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Everyone here will suggest what they like. That doesn't mean you're going to like it.
Experiment within your budget, read reviews to get some idea of what a certain tobacco will be like and find what you like.
As far as pipes go, buy what appeals to you, again within your budget. There's no right or wrong.
You can make this as simple or as complicated as you like, its all up to you and what makes you happy.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Bassbug nailed it, as far as pipes go I suggest going to antique stores or flea markets and try to score some super cheap estate pipes. And for tobacco just order a few tins of things that sound good every month or so.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
When I first started pipe smoking, I went to my local B&M shop and asked the kind proprietor to help me select some different blends from the bulk blend selections. You can buy a small amount and sample many different styles for little money, and won't be stuck with a whole tin of something you don't like. I asked for a VaPer, an English, a Burley, a heavy latakia, cavendish, etc. From that I quickly discovered more what I liked and went from there. Go back and tell them what you liked, and as they know what bulk supplier they repackage as their blends, can advise you on other things to try. Have Fun!

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
You have a Yello Bole Burley? I believe those are Brylon... cobs are good, maybe grab another Briar. Don't listen to me but I'd get a Grabow Royalton and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Ever since I discovered it, I keep pointing people to the tobacco and pipe locator tools over at Smoking Pipes website. The search isn't perfect, but works quite well. Since you have your own taste, it works and helps you narrow down stuff you like. It's also awesome because you can sort by price range, shape, finish, etc, on all the pipes they have in stock, so if you want to find a bent billiard with a sandblast on it for less than $50, you can pretty easily. I only point people here because we all have our own tastes in pipes and tobacco, so it's really difficult to provide options.
If I HAD to provide an option, and I know that you like aromatics, then I myself would point you towards something like Mac Baren Vanilla Cream flake or C&D's Autumn Evening. Both exceptional aromatics and quite tasty.
For a pipe, I'd suggest many that are within the $50-$100 range, but of course, I don't know your range, so I'll throw out Nording, Peterson, and Savinelli since those are probably the most popular pipe brands that have many, many pipes available for under $100 and will serve you very well.

pinhead

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
All very helpful information. Thank you everyone so far. One question however... what is vapor? Is this type of aromatic? Sorry stupid question surely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For pipes on a modest budget, I like Dr. Grabow Royaltons, especially the bulldog shape; the Rossi line by Savinelli; the MM cobs special series with acrylic stems for about $24; the French EWA pipes from Iwan Ries for about $38; and Nording Signature freehands. French pipes are nice at moderate prices such as Chacom, BC, and Genod. For tobaccos, you must know the constituent tobaccos of those you already enjoy and use that as a guide for blends you don't yet know. Try around among the bulk tobaccos for good prices, but sample only an ounce or two at a time. Great savings there. You can have a wide and varied pipe interest at really low cost. Many pouch tobaccos are as good as some premium blends in tins, i think.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
MSO once wrote on another thread that you should take your time and do your research before going out and buying pipes. Wise words I have come to appreciate. Really take your time. That's half the fun after all. There's a lot of good information to be had! Once you have a basic working knowledge, you will be more of a discerning buyer, and a happier one. Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You also need to take your smoking habits and situations into consideration before buying pipes. I made the 'mistake' of buying a Brigham volcano whose bowl is just too big for the short smokes that I must have due to my living in a non-smoking building. Nice pipe, well crafted, and photogenic, but it just doesn't see any use at all. Now I buy only pipes with small bowls, and those get smoked regularly.
Take it easy and factor in everything. There's more to a pipe than just shape and price.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I have really loved the selection, prices and variety at site sponsor mkelaw-pipes. It is a great way to get a fine Briar estate pipe. Be open to estate pipes from good sources like him. A great way to figure out what pipes you like best with a lower investment.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
I'm a new pipe smoker myself. Since you said you favor the aromatic tobaccos, my current favorite aromatic is Missouri Meerscham Great Dane. I definitely recommend it.
If you want to try a VaPer, the one I hear recommended a lot, and that I have tried, is Orlik Golden Sliced. Very mellow.
Another good aromatic is Lane 1-Q. It is very similar to the Captain Black Royal that you like, but a bit better IMO.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
Also, since you said you like Captain Black, you should take advantage of this:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/cb5
If you use that exact URL, the Captain Black 5 flavor sampler is only $5 with free shipping. That's $1 per pouch. I believe the deal is good until 4/15/2019.
My favorite of those 5 is the Gold, but I haven't tried the Dark yet. I have the sampler coming in the mail and will find out. The Cherry has a terrible overpowering pouch note, but the smoke is actually OK IMO.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I recommend a Stanwell, P&C has really nice prices on them. I’ll recommend a few tobacco’s as well;
Aromatic: Dan Tobacco Blue Note - the first aromatic that I found that tastes like what the tin note smells like, it’s still a favorite to smoke when I’m around nonsmokers. I buy this stuff by the pound and it holds up to age very well.

English: Balkan Sasieni (totally underrated)

English crossover: Two Friends English Chocolate, Sillem’s Black and Boswell’s Northwoods.

Old world scented tobacco: St. Bruno (Flake or RR) - has wonderful base tobacco’s of Virginia & Dark Fired with a very complex top dressing that is fruity and perfectly floral (one of my all time favs)

VaPer: Escudo - just a great starting point
These aren’t necessarily my favorites per say but I still who heartedly enjoy them and I think they are great introductions to their respective genres.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Great posts!
Bassbug pretty much nailed it, along with everyone else - :)
I’m a hobby smoker, though thinking of Warren, I’d be fibbing if I said the nicotine is unwanted...
Anyway, for ‘me’, it’s hard to go wrong with a Stanwell, a Rossi, or Savinelli. Due to budget constraints my price-point is ~$100-$150 (USD). Most of my briars or in that range. My most expensive was a Scott Klein that my wife bought me (a first and last).
I can’t give much tobacco advice to you as I’m not an aromatics fella. Looks like you’re pretty well covered with good advice there already.
Cheers to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.