Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Help! Stanwell Info Please

(10 posts)
  1. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just gifted this Stanwell estate with plateau and am looking for any further info people can offer.

It's stamped "Stanwell", "de Luxe" "Made in Denmark" and a reg. No.

Anybody have info on this line? Approximate date?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Handsome pipe, really nice plateau on the brim. As you likely know, Stanwell production has been moved to Italy, and though the Italy-made pipes have (to me) proven out well and remain high quality and true to Danish design, there will always be a premium on the pipes made in Denmark, as this one is. That's my contribution, but others will have more, I suspect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's an older pipe, due to the registration number. The deLuxe was one of the lower grades, but that doesn't matter too much as Stanwell didn't put their own name on shite pipes. I think that is a heck of a good gift and embodies that particular design aesthetic Stanwell embraced so well.

Doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

That's a real beauty! As mentioned the Reg. No. makes it an older piece, 1960's to early 70's.

Enjoy it, I guarantee it will be a great smoker!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet pipe! I love that plateau. I am always drawn to Stanwells.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am very partial to the old Danish pipes. I hold the old Stanwells near and dear to me. That is a bute! Stanwell pipes with a registration number were made as early as the 1950's. Yours is a Sixten Ivarsson designed shape if I ever saw one (I've seen many). The shape number on the other side of the shank should end with an "M" indicating the military mount stem. It's also a traditional Danish chair leg stem. That's a fine pipe from the bygone era of Stanwell. Made in the time when some of the master Danish carvers of today were getting their start. Congrats on that pipe! Love it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Actually I don't believe this would have a shape number. The old DeLuxe models were freehand shapes, the classic Danish style with plateaux rims usually and the ringed ornate stems. 1960's is probably accurate. I've seen them sell in the $1-200 range, not that you're interested in selling but just my two cents.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the one or two hundred dollar range, I'd sure keep that one for the duration. It's a lot more valuable as a smoker than for sale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, everyone. It was an awesome gift from my coworkers, now slightly more special as a 'birth-era" pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

Fantastic pipe...someone in your work crowd really knows their pipes! Can I send your company my resume?

JoeMan
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, samw74, paulfg, boston, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks