en9GE1P.jpg
[/url][/img]
vU3hNmP.jpg
[/url][/img]
6KqWuup.jpg
[/url][/img]
ZXYopHm.jpg
[/url][/img]
Found these 3 estates at a garage sale last weekend. There were many other estate meers as well as some briars and porcelains. Seller didn't have much info other than her dad was a pipe collector but not a pipe smoker and these were a few from his collection. She was an older lady and she said that the pipes I was looking at were but a fraction of what she had however the rest of the collection was at her fathers home about 1 hour drive from our town. I recieved a meer from my grandfather upon his death and became interested in possibly starting a collection. I told her what I could afford for the 3 I was interested in which was about 1/3 of what she was asking. She agreed without much hesitation at all and said she was ready to have them go to individuals who appreciated them. Being that I'm fairly new to the idea of having a collection/rotation I'm hoping that someone can verify that I got a fair price on the three and that I didn't get hosed. She took my phone number and said she could send me some pics of the other pipes in her dad's collection. If I did indeed get a seriously fair price then I'm considering purchasing a few more.

She had $125 on the colored billiard, I paid $45. She said that pipe was antique and had a real amber stem. The case has "real amber" printed on the inside. I'm thinking this pipe is oxblood stained or the like.

She also had $125 on the dublin? shaped pipe, I paid $45 for it as well. She said this pipe was also antique and also had an amber stem.

The hand holding bowl I paid $120. This pipe she did not have a price on. She just told me her absolute bottom and she took !

$10 less. I think this pipe is also quite old and I believe is oxblood stained or the like as well.

So I paid $210 for all 3 pipes.

If anyone has similar pipes in their collection or has any information I'd be very grateful to hear. Again I'm just hoping to find that I got a fair price and that further dealings with this seller would be well worth while.

Thanks everyone in advance!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
You got a steal on those! I don't believe meerschaum is stained with oxblood. I am no expert but thought the darker color was due to the wax applied.
I'd be going back to buy everything she had!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a meer expert but I am not sure if any of those are block meerschaum and not the pressed stuff that is not worth anything. I would wait on buying anymore until one of the guys(shantiques) here who is very well versed in this kind of stuff, chimes in. If these pipes are not block meer's then you got hosed as all three are barely worth 45 bucks. I would pm shantiques aka Dave and ask him for help before you buy anything else.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am not sure about the Meer. It looks good to me, but I am no expert. I would just about swear on the Bible though that the top one no longer has an amber stem.
Once that is ruled out, who knows what else has been changed. The bottom one likely isn't very old either.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
They look good to me. I do think the top one has an amber stem. Beautifully colored bowl as well. The bottom one looks to be a block meerschaum that has been well smoked. The older meerschaum pipes were dipped in whale oil, so they colored up a lot better than the ones made today. I think you got a great deal on these.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Good deals on the first two. On eBay pipes like that typically go $75 to $100. They might retail at the asking price or a little more depending on condition. About the going rate on the third.

The first pipe is definitely pre-colored. The shape and case make me think it's late 19th early 20th century. The logo might help me date it and I can't read it. The coloring is probably oxblood or something similar. They were stained and then sealed. Probably with shellac. A little stem polish cusually cleans and brightens them right up. It's in nice condition. From the stem profile I'd guess it has a slotted opening. The coloring makes me think it's a Bakelite replacement for an original round hole amber stem. The stem on it probably dates to the 20s-30s and doesn't really bring the value down much if at all IMO.

The second pipe looks like it has an amberoid stem. It may be original or a period replacement. That horn shape was popular around 1900ish. Any case logo? Looks like a WDC maybe.

The last pipe is pre-colored as well. From the same period as the other two. The stem is an acrylic replacement. Fairly recent by the look. It fits the pipe nicely and is an improvement over the original amberoid for smoking.

I think you did okay. And the seller wasn't fleeced by any means. I'd like to see what else she has. Judging by those three, there should be some other really good pipes in that collection.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Much thanks for the responses guys. The image of the top pipe doesn't really do it justice. It's a really pretty bowl. I'm going to try the stem polish and thanks so much for that. The logo is a red diamond that simply reads "premier meerschaum" inside the diamond. No other visible markings as the case is pretty worn.

As for the horn shape I can't find anything on it or the case. The case of it is fairly worn as well. I'm just happy to find out that I got a fair deal without unintentionally fleecing the lady seller. Sounds like she got the going rate on one pipe and allowed a little bundle price on the other 2. When she said she had more pipes....she gave the impression... of lots more. She went on about her fathers collection as if the pipes I was looking at were merely the red-headed step-children of the lot. I loved them and we struck up a quick and friendly relationship. If and when she sends some pictures I'll be sure to post.....the pictures.....not her contact info lol.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Premier was an early 20th century company. P in an elongated diamond was their stamp logo. They were bought out in the 20s.

It would be fun to see pics of any other pipes from that collection.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Whatever the stem material on the middle "horn shape" pipe is...... it just broke. Super brittle. It was fine when I put it away after the last bowl I smoked. Picked it back up today and noticed a crack in the mouthpiece. Unscrewed it and the next piece in line "washer shaped disc" fell in two in my hand as I slid it off the tenon.

If it is real amber I guess I screwed the pooch. Shouldve put that stem away and sent the bowl away for a replacement acrylic stem to be made for smoking. Looks like a new acrylic is definately in order now....arrrgggghhhh. That stem is actually 4 pieces. A diamond shape piece that butts up to the shank. Then 2 washer shape discs. Then the actual stem screws onto the tenon. Doubtful that I'll easily find someone to replicate.....arrrrgggghhh. Skype conversation with Ric at Briarville this afternoon....fingers crossed.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It's probably amberoid which is a type of early plastic meant to mimic amber. You probably didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes there are micro fractures inside the material and it can just fall apart. It can be glued together with super glue. Then if need be, you can carefully wet sand the join and polish it. After that though you would be better off with another smoking stem. The repairs often don't last. I imagine it's because of the heat from smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.