PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Okay, so the salt and alcohol have sat in the bowls overnight and the color has changed from white to nearly black, what next?

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_care/cleaning The second paragraph of the "what should I do if my pipe turns sour" section gives a pretty detailed instructions for this process.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If the salt is black... Then check that the alcohol has totally evaporated then break the crust of the salt, dump out all the salt, reem with a paper towel, and start a second round. Repeat until the colour of the salt is a more modest yellow tint. You might want to get ahead of yourself a bit and spend some time on the shank with a shank brush, bristle cleaners, q tips and your alcohol of choice. This will make your next S and A treatments go,a little faster.
-- Pat

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
It's not really clear on how the salt comes out. Do I just knock it out, then wipe out the residue,or do I actually rinse it in water?

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
And just so everyone knows, these are the smoke damaged pipes from awhile back.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
No, don't rinse with water! Scoop it out and wipe with paper towel as Pruss said to get the salt that you might have missed. Then you can add alcohol to the towel and wipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If the pipes are seriously smoke damaged, and you're considering a complete strip and stain, I'd give them an overnight bath in isopropyl alcohol.
Here's Steve Laug's commentary: http://rebornpipes.com/2013/02/09/making-an-alcohol-bath/
-- Pat

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
+1 antbauers . That's my bad I didn't take the time to reread that article, it seemed much more thorough than that the last time I read it.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Thanks for all the information guys, its much appreciated. I will update you on how it goes if you like.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Werebear:
I just did five S&A treatments on a swell vintage Italian Cassano I got from our resident Kaywoodie hoarder, Gary in New Mexico.
He likes Aros and I prefer English blends so our respective pipes always smell like sour blue cheese ass whenever we do a trade.
When the fourth treatment came up black I emptied the salt and got out my reamer. There was still a bit of Cherry/Durian/Plum/Mandarin Orange/7-11 Fructose diabetes inducing cake near the bottom that was righteously scoured.
One more S&A treatment - plus two days dry out - and that burner chewed up a bowl of DH Nightcap like a champ last night.
Be patient, bub. The journey is the reward.
Fnord

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I use the little spoon on a Czech tool to scoop out the salt/alcohol, don't get any on the bowl top.

Not that I have ever done this before or restored a pipe, but what if you put some 'Press'n Seal' on the top of the bowl/rim, and then cut the center out with an exacto knife before doing the S&A treatment? That would protect the rim fairly well and Press & Seal wouldn't leave behind any residue.
Note that I do not mean plastic cling wrap, but rather 'Glad Press'n Seal'. Huge difference.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Okay, so I scraped off the crust and put more alcohol on the remaining salt and left it for another day. I emptied them the day before yesterday I think, and I'm ashamed to say that after they dried I didn't re-treat them. I smoked one immediately after they dried. I couldn't wait, I had to lol. And it tasted a hundred times better. I think they might be saved! Thank God.
@tbradsim1 Man, you never know when someones gonna bring up rectal thermometers! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.