Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Hello I am a long time lurker first time poster.I am an englishman currently living in Corfu Greece

I have just won a Barling pipe I know it is not pre transition but would like to find out more about its possible dating and was advised to post on here as there are knowledgeable people who frequent here
here is the listing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barling-Pipe-/301869842949?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=tzrZydN%252FiqRW39ZAq%252FKI0MTapk0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
6109-600x450.jpg

61092-450x600.jpg

A nice post family era pipe, dating roughly 1962-70 (I would guess towards the earlier part of that range) the size 6 corresponds to the old EXEXEL size. Lovely sandblast on that one. The Billiard Curvet, as you can se the 9 is the code for the flat stem. From the 1962 Retailers Catalog,
62bar23-564x600.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
First of all, congratulations on picking up this fabulous pipe! That blast is truly stunning, and the crispness of it indicates that the pipe has been spared the horror of a buffer.
It's not an early transition pipe. That's a popular spin placed by sellers on eBay and some of them might even believe it. The only pipes that can be confidently identified as "early" transition are pipes with "Barling's Make" stamped on them in block letters, the word "Barling's" arched over the word "Make", and which also have the new numbering system. This new numbering system has four digit model numbers with the first digit ranging from 2 to 6.
Your pipe has the word "Barling" stamped on it in script. From the shaping it looks like a Barling Factory made pipe, so the period of manufacture is between late 1962 and 1970. In 1970 the Barling factories were shuttered and manufacturing was outsourced to Charatan and Ogden among others. The Barling stem logo looks like a restrike. Typically the Barling stem logo tends to partially or completely wear away, or darken over time. The only exceptions that I've seen to this are with unsmoked pipes in their box.
There is a myth that Barling pipes went straight into the toilet after the family sold their business to Finlay. That's bullshit. But it's beneficial bullshit as it keeps the prices artificially low on the later product and some fantastic smokers, equal to the family made product, can be had for a fraction of the cost. Quality did become more uneven, but mucho later. Yours looks to have been well made. Once it's cleaned up it should prove to be an excellent smoker.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
thank you sablebrush you have confirmed what I thought before I bid on it.

I am quite happy at this stage with what I bought,time will tell when its in my hands and cleaned ready to smoke.

It is my first Barling ,I currently have about 10 petersons mostly system deluxe of the 1970 -1985 vintage and a new savinelli 320, but have wanted a barling for a while ,hopefully the first of a few.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Very nice! As others have.pointed out that blast is equisite.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
paulfg:
Congratulations on your first Barling; however, you should be warned before it is too late: They are the heroin of the pipe-world, a delicious experience which you will crave again and again until you can think of nothing else! Dunhill? Bah! Comoy's? Twaddle! Peterson? Please!
Consider poor sablebrush52. Once rich and famous, the toast of Tron, he was a Hollywood heavyweight. Now he has to resort to working on cartoons about dogs (DOGS, mind you) to support his all-consuming Barling habit!
For heaven's sake paulfg, turn back! Send your pipe to me for proper disposal, lest you, too, succumb to the beast that is Barling.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
huntertrw

yes I do realise this could be the start of the slippery slope to total addiction,how ever I am prepared to risk becoming an addict :puffpipe:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Huntertrw

you were correct I have been bitten picked up a transition pipe from 1962 (I think) given as it has both barling's make and 4 digit size numbering.

Needs a good clean up ,not sure whether to try myself or send it off to an expert.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes a pipe from 1962, the end of the family era, and a Special, which is, well......Special. If you have not done any pipe clean up/restoration I WOULD NOT try to figure it out on this pipe as your first one. Just my opinion. PM sent.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
paulfg, You picked up a couple of nice finds. Welcome to Support Enablers Group.
One thing I wonder about the sandblast pipe is whether the "Made in England" stamp hints at somewhat earlier production than a pipe with "London England" stamped under "Barlings"?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well the rusticted pipe is on its way to me,the special I had sent direct to Dean at http://www.estatepipeshop.co.uk/ he has just sent me some pictures of the restoration.

I cant wait to fire this puppy up

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Absolutely beautiful. Both of them. I find a lot of brands on the estate market, never seen a Barling. Hmmmm, I wonder why. Maybe Jesse has them all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, that Dublin! Stunning to say the least.
Is the blast one that was featured in another thread? One that has a deep furrow around most of the bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.