Tags:  No tags yet. 

Help: My wife hates the smell of the pipe

(38 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by thesmokingtexan
  • Latest reply from rangerearthpig
  1. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

My wife is happy that I quite smoking cigarettes but hates the new pipe obsession. So far she does not like the smell of any blend I have gotten including the ODF. Any recommendations on a blend that will smell good while smoking and on my clothes. I need to get her on board so I get less grief when I go to smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

She probably won't come around if she hasn't already. Mine hates it, all blends. She grudgingly has let it go, but always makes a face and a comment about how bad the tobacco smells or my cabinet smells. I just ignore it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

Those women so judgmental......I mean so caring:-)

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Molto Dolce to the rescue

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya just hope they die before you do so you can enjoy at least one day on this earth, lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'd think the Molto Dolce would do it, but not for me. Mine is anti-pipe and cigar. I just ignore the judgment. "Leave me alone, woman."

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of aromatic blends that non-smokers seem to like, aroma wise, but if you find them generally unpleasant to actually smoke then aside from smoking outside there's not a heck of a lot to be done except for getting yourself a good quality HEPA filtration unit and only smoking right next to it. It's a bit of an expensive solution but it might help to ensure domestic tranquility.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I smoke outside anyways cause we got three young kids but it is also the smell left in my clothes after that is a problem with her. I need a smoke that leaves a smell of Calvin Klein cologne but taste like the ODF we are sampling this week. That would be perfect.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wear a hat and a smoking jacket or shirt. Kind of hard in the hot weather, though.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a perfect excuse to get a great new smoking jacket and hat! Just take them off before you go in the house.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My tobacco doesn't offend others, they actually like the way it smells ... just the lady. She is just a complainer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sailorjeremy

sailorjeremy

Login to Send PM

Yup! Ignore the chatter and smoke on. Not like shes going anywhere...

~ Jeremy "Doc"

"This is not recreation, this is therapy. This is essential... I consider the tobacco I put in my pipe all the grief and suffering. And I will burn it.”- US Navy Chaplain (RET) A.P. Sholtes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. metarzan

metarzan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drag her down to the local B&M and have her pick out her least hated, most tolerated blend based on nose. Anyone who doesn't like the smell of a pipe and cigar shop has questionable character and should be avoided. Should be a question on Match.com if it isn't already.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

necron99

Login to Send PM

Take up tuba and practice alot. She will soon ask you to take up pipe smoking again.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand
    Milton Freidman
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I think I'll have to accept her s disagreement. however maybe ill smoke a really foul blend and then she'll appreciate the better smelling blend

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So........your wife tolerated the stench of cigarettes but isn't happy with pipe smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To the batroom, Robin! -- er, garage, that is. (Where I am now. Detached garage, too, by the way.)

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them. -- Carl Jung
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys crack me up. Yep, it may just be a "this is my thing" deal.

Spouses make the best stories! My wife knows within two seconds of me walking in the door if I smoked a blend with Latakia in it. She doesn't know Latakia is, just when I've smoked it . . .

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My wife doesn't mind the smell of my "aromatics", but then again I only smoke outdoors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

She did not like the smell of the cigarette or cigars either but she thinks the pipe is a worse smell. Also I am fighting a up hill battle cause sheiks an ex-smoker herself and I don't know if y'all noticed but ex-smokers are 10x more critical of tobacco use. Holy than thou kind of attitude at least where cigarettes are concerned.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a no win situation. Best thing to do is try to compromise with her with a discussion, or maybe see if she would like to try smoking a pipe with you.

You may have to just agree to disagree.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mate, I feel for you.

Next time your wife complains, look at her calmly; pause, and tell her the following: "Fair enough, Honey/Babe/Sweetheart; but would you rather see me drink, gamble and chase women?"

It worked for me. See, women are very smart.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a perfect excuse to get a great new smoking jacket

Sounds like a perfect excuse to get a great new wife

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

junkyarddawg You are probably still limping!

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dude, I swear, this is a true story.

My wife was whining at me a couple years back because of all the time I spend on internet looking up pipes, tobaccos, chatting with people on forums, etc. Then she said, as I was checking out a few open tins of tobaccos, quote "You're still playing with your darn tobaccos and pipes!" Unquote

And I replied what I wrote up there. She looked at me, frowned, and said "I guess so.". She never said anything again.

Like I said, women are smart. They will choose the lesser of two evils (for them).

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I do like junkyarddowgs idea. She has seen the worst of me back in my hay day. I have calmed down quite a bit. I think it is just something that she'll have to accept as my get away and I'll have to accept that she does not accept it :-). It's all good she ain't giving me to much trouble just was wanted to know what y'all thought and if they was a really good smelling blend. Thanks for all the feedback

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. metarzan

metarzan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As mentioned early on, if Molto Dolce doesn't do the trick, then you can try extreme measures.
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4018/sutliff-tobacco-company-molto-dolce

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

AN innocuous vanilla scented blend might be less offensive. Definitely give up smoking in the house.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give Mac Baren's plumb cake a try - many fellas with the same problem recommend it. It will be in my next TAD order for that very reason.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keep the strong blends outdoors when you can. Getting a little air is a good thing. My favorite room
    note pleasant blend is Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, Va/Bur/Cav/Rum. Without the rum they called
    it Casanova, but I think they've stopped making that one. I think your wife might like it, or tolerate it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. goinslow

goinslow

Login to Send PM

Great thread... I am goign to try some of that Molto Dolce.
    Thanks for the info folks!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tell her you use the tobacco to cover up the smell of hooker spit. Once you come clean that's not the case she won't remember what she was angry about in the first place...

If you don't come clean and she thinks you smell like hooker spit, she will still not care about the tobacco

However, if you really smell like hooker spit please disregard this advice...

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like your wife would really prefer you join her in being a non-smoker. That's going to be a tough one to get over. When my wife and I got together we agreed we had a few non-negotiable. Everything else we would find common ground. I would have the straight out conversation with her. Tell her, this is what I want to do. Is this a non-negotiable for you? If it is, you gotta decide what is more important. If its not you need to tell her to drop it then. You will smoke outside, brush your teeth, and shower but she doesn't get to say anything. Communication ahead of time has given me 25 years of relative wedded bliss.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. bphilli75

Billp

Login to Send PM

A nice Virginia Perique, like Escudo, has a nice aroma. Also, Lane RLP 6 and 1Q from Lane Ltd are big hits around my house. I just tried out Mac Baren Mixture Scottish blend, and the family enjoyed it too. Best of luck man.

Smells are powerful for invoking memories and emotions. Maybe some great experiences accompanied by a bit of pipe aroma would help.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the suggestions. When I go to order agian ill defiantly try some of these.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My wife hates the smell of the pipe

Whatever you do, don't say "there are some smells I hate too" as you hand her....

It will not go well for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. jtaggie320

John

Login to Send PM

Oh yours too? Just kidding. Sorry friend but it sounds like we're in identically situations. My wife despises smoking of any form almost as much as she despises me smoking. I've received plenty of compliments from her friends on almost any blend I smoke, but she's not having it. It would be admitting defeat if she uttered the words "that actually smells pretty good". She's never really come around to it, I guess she just finally gave up trying to change me.

Best advice is get you a comfortable porch chair (don't even think about lighting up inside unless she's gone for the weekend), a good dog to talk to (since she won't be sharing a conversation with you while you're puffing on a bowl), and maybe a good set of ear plugs..... Sometimes it's not all that bad when they leave you alone for a little while each day anyway!

and +1 CMDRMCBRAGG was spot on......"I JUST IGNORE IT"

GOOD LUCK!

Jesus said to him "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Made me think of this song....maybe change a few words...

I'm Gonna Miss Her

RLTW!
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   yaddy306, tfdickson, jaytex969