PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I have a hard time discerning the flavor of perique. I have also never been able to taste leather, freshly mowed grass, chocolate, coffee, caramel, Jennifer Aniston's panties (I wish I knew what they taste like), etc in a cigar or pipe tobacco.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Well no matter the crop each year it will taste different. just like wine and spirits like scotch. you can do the same preparation the same every time yet there will be subtle to substantial differences. Maybe the blenders taste the baccy and know what that certain vintage will blend best with. Again this is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, but it would make sense.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love the stuff and smoke it straight now and then.
Variables which determine the amount of Spice vs. Plum are plentiful but include:
The actual strain used to make Perique (varies)

Soil / Nitrogen conditions during the grow

The pressure / fermentation process

Rate of smoking ... more plum smoking slow, more pepper at higher cadence

The other components that are blended with it.
Hmmmmm ... I think I'm smoking a bowl of Perique tonight! :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Phonomet,
I get some plum out of Escudo and LBF both but these might be more "plum forward":
McClelland - St James Woods

Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding

Mac Baren - HH Acadian Perique

C&D - Bayou Morning

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
My experience is that the plum aspect comes forward when paired with sweeter components, but the pepper shows up more with less sweet leaf. Example - Anniversary Kake shows more of the plum character, while Louisiana Red shows more of the pepper.
Russ

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
My experience is that the plum aspect comes forward when paired with sweeter components, but the pepper shows up more with less sweet leaf.
Interesting you say that, whilst I've only smoked a handful of VaPers all have been sweet and the perique has always been plummy and fruity, I've been waiting for the pepper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ is the pro, but I affirm that Perique changes depending on the other components of

a blend. Part of its charm is that changeability. It's not just proportionate to more or less

Perique. Also it emphasizes different flavors in other tobaccos. Good blenders can really

play with your taste buds and your mind, sometimes with very modest portions of Perique.

Jun 4, 2014
I agree that it must depend on the supporting tobaccos. Its like cigars,I know of several brands of Nicaraguan cigars that have a ton of pepper flavor, while others have none.

Dec 24, 2012
Now my question: Does age have a tendency to make the perique more plumy and less spicy? Or does age matter at all?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
All the more reason to do the Perique tour this October. I've been trying to get everything I can out of my Perique blends but alas I'm to astute enough to discern all the minute flavors that some claim they can derive from VaPer blends.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
<p>I enjoy the taste of perique but it makes my throat feel likes its closing up very shortly after starting a bowl and I can never finish. Anyone else have that issue? Wonder if I'm allergic or something...

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
cobguy makes a good point...the slower my cadence, the more plum I get from most blends.
that said, I do seem to get more pepper from the escudo's of the world and a bit more plum from lbf's...the cavendish may have an influence here, as well.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm a member of the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club and we're lucky to count Russ O. among our members. I'm going to speak with him about the influence of various leafs on perique. It pays to talk to a master.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cobguy mentions Old Joe Krantz (C&D). What a surprise Perique is in that. Just sniffing the tobacco

is surprising and confusing, and then the actual smoke unfolds in unexpected ways. If you can do

burley, it is an interesting Perique experience.
ref peck's post, I'm guessing it is the pairing with other tobaccos that changes Perique's effect, but

others may have had experiences where aging played a role.
I'm hoping all the members who do the Perique factory tour at the NOLA pipe show will chime in with

their recollections and observations, and maybe some quotes from the Perique conservators themselves

on the mysteries of this leaf.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
So is that "fig" like fruity after taste I get from H&H Armada the Perique ? Is that what folks are referring to as a Plum taste of Perique ?
(I like it BTW !!)

Status
Not open for further replies.