PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Can you please help me date this CPF? It only has one stamp on the shank and nothing else. The stem is not authentic as I only was able to procure the bowl, but it has been artfully restored by Ric Farrah at Briarville features screw-in bone tenon as i wanted to keep it as as close as possible to the authentic pipe stem.
dSyqzRU.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Chris

The Pipe Monk

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Unfortunately with a CPF pipe, the stem really aids a lot in dating the pipe. The CPF logo by itself doesn't indicate anything to me. My feeling is that it's early 20th century. The screw in tenon is nice. But the bit isn't close to original in style. Not trying to bust chops or anything. It looks good and you can smoke it.

I've seen KB&B briar claws that had more relief that are 20s pipes. But The consensus is that the CPF brand was discontinued certainly by 1920.

@Xrundog - Thanks for the help, atleast I have an idea about the age of the pipe now. If you any pictures of what kind of stem/bit these kind of pipes had, please post them so I can get a proper stem next time I send it for servicing. I really like the engraving style of this one. I've dedicated it to smoking Straight Virginias in it.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Glad to oblige. A stem like the original would have to be hand shaped. It's hard to find people who want to mess with that. First, the stem should be straight with no flare at the bit. And the bit should be chunkier. The old timers had amberoid, red Bakelite and rubber stems. An amber or tortoise shell acrylic would be a good replacement IMO. Here's a couple pics of CPF pipes with original stems.
Amberoid:
CPFSterlingPoker1_zpsfeb98143.jpg

Bakelite:
CPFCasedFBBakeliteFancy1_zpsad18c4c0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.