Tags:  No tags yet. 

Help Me Chose a Vintage Please

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by seamusjft
  • Latest reply from seamusjft
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

Good morning pipe buddies. As most of you know, it's international pipe day on the 20th. To celebrate, I'm traveling 200 miles by train to join the Nottingham pipe club for the evening. Now I plan on taking something a little special with me for the occasions sake and because I don't know anyone and it will a good ice breaker. I'm gonna buy a vintage tobacco but I have no experience with them.
    My choices in order of what I'm drawn to most are - joint 1st Dunhill My mixture circa 1990 or 1980 & Dunhill nightcap 1999. Dunhill standard mix medium 99 or 90s. Dunhill 3 year matured Virginia 60s/70s.
    Now I've tried all these under their current blenders except matured Virginia obviously and like all. They're all sealed. Does that mean they won't have aged? Or is that a good thing?
    I know you guys can't recommend for my personal taste but what I'm asking I guess is are they're elements for example in nightcap that make it better age than my mixture? If that makes sense? Does older mean better or are the 99 blends gonna be just as good?

Any input guys will as always, be greatfuly revived.

Sean

Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’d love to hear what people have to say about an aged Perique…

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Older doesn't always mean better but often aged blend are better then non aged. Being in the tin, they will have aged

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

My options have changed somewhat anyway. I don't know if there is a translation problem being a German site but on further reading it said not for consumption. In which case, why would anyone pay $90 for a 40 year old unsmokeable tin of nightcap?
    I've gone with pipes and cigars and bought some tines aged 6 years from them. Still interested to hear views in ageing though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

seamus - re "I don't know if there is a translation problem being a German site but on further reading it said not for consumption" - this is the standard boilerplate that sellers use on EBay to circumvent the strictures against selling tobacco. The technicality is that it is the tin, which just happens to be sealed and full of the original contents, that is being offered for sale.

Re the vintage of the DH, another factor is that older tins might be made by Murray, and even pre-Murray. Some loyalists prefer one maker over the others.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

- this is the standard boilerplate that sellers use on EBay to circumvent the strictures against selling tobacco

You beat me to it. It is totally for consumption. Like lestrout said they put that just to get around ebay's rules. I've bought a tin off ebay, and it was just fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Fresh Perique" while technically aged is the wettest (if that's a word) tobacco I have ever encountered.
    However; too much drying can adversely affect the taste. It must be at least medium moist to be at its flavorful best IMHO.

I think aging a blend with Perique in a Ball or Mason Jar is probably the best way to go.
    Almost every blend I have ever tried that had Perique in the recipe, was in a vacuum sealed tin...
    The notable exceptions being Hal O' The Wynd, and G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. Your all helpfull as usual.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thedudeabides, briarfriar, misterlowercase, mustanggt, mrenglish, rickpal14, fordm60, bulletsnbriars, lestrout, overdriver, tbradsim1, indianafrank, tppytel, pitchfork, terrygoldman123, framitz