PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Good morning pipe buddies. As most of you know, it's international pipe day on the 20th. To celebrate, I'm traveling 200 miles by train to join the Nottingham pipe club for the evening. Now I plan on taking something a little special with me for the occasions sake and because I don't know anyone and it will a good ice breaker. I'm gonna buy a vintage tobacco but I have no experience with them.

My choices in order of what I'm drawn to most are - joint 1st Dunhill My mixture circa 1990 or 1980 & Dunhill nightcap 1999. Dunhill standard mix medium 99 or 90s. Dunhill 3 year matured Virginia 60s/70s.

Now I've tried all these under their current blenders except matured Virginia obviously and like all. They're all sealed. Does that mean they won't have aged? Or is that a good thing?

I know you guys can't recommend for my personal taste but what I'm asking I guess is are they're elements for example in nightcap that make it better age than my mixture? If that makes sense? Does older mean better or are the 99 blends gonna be just as good?
Any input guys will as always, be greatfuly revived.
Sean
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
My options have changed somewhat anyway. I don't know if there is a translation problem being a German site but on further reading it said not for consumption. In which case, why would anyone pay $90 for a 40 year old unsmokeable tin of nightcap?

I've gone with pipes and cigars and bought some tines aged 6 years from them. Still interested to hear views in ageing though.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
seamus - re "I don't know if there is a translation problem being a German site but on further reading it said not for consumption" - this is the standard boilerplate that sellers use on EBay to circumvent the strictures against selling tobacco. The technicality is that it is the tin, which just happens to be sealed and full of the original contents, that is being offered for sale.
Re the vintage of the DH, another factor is that older tins might be made by Murray, and even pre-Murray. Some loyalists prefer one maker over the others.
hp

les

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
- this is the standard boilerplate that sellers use on EBay to circumvent the strictures against selling tobacco

You beat me to it. It is totally for consumption. Like lestrout said they put that just to get around ebay's rules. I've bought a tin off ebay, and it was just fine.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
"Fresh Perique" while technically aged is the wettest (if that's a word) tobacco I have ever encountered.

However; too much drying can adversely affect the taste. It must be at least medium moist to be at its flavorful best IMHO.
I think aging a blend with Perique in a Ball or Mason Jar is probably the best way to go.

Almost every blend I have ever tried that had Perique in the recipe, was in a vacuum sealed tin...

The notable exceptions being Hal O' The Wynd, and G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.