HELP! Information Overload (Need Recommendations)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Hi all,
I know this is a loaded question, but what tobacco do you recommend for a novice pipe smoker? Slightly more detail: I want to buy 4 x 50g tins of tobacco (because I'm Canadian and want to order the maximum limit of 200g), but I don't know what to get. I would like to "cover all bases" so to speak in that I would like to use this time to try some different types of tobacco. I already think one of the tins will be McClelland 3 Oaks (so I can try a Latakia). I'm not really sure what other basic types to try (I see words like "English" and "Balkan" thrown around a lot). Basically, for a novice, it's information overload. McClelland alone has over 60 tobacco types reviewed on tobaccoreview.com! 8O
I know it's a loaded question from beer drinking. I love stout, but I know that even among Irish stouts, I love Beamish, like Guinness and dislike Murphy's. I'm assuming the same applies to tobaccos in that there are so many and taste is generally subjective, but I would like to hear from you all nonetheless.
Edit: I suppose what I'm really asking is for tobaccos that are quintessential representations of their "genre" (for lack of a better word).

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Here are some suggestions:
Good All-Around Aromatic: Lane 1Q or Altadis Creme Brulee (I love the Creme Brulee)

Balkan: Hearth and Home Blackhouse or GL Pease Meridian (Black House is my preference)
GL Pease's Sextant is quite good, although I'm not sure what bracket that sits in; it doesn't quite fit well into any one specific category.
All of these tobaccos are available from the site's sponsors at fair prices.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
if you're looking for 4 categories i'd say

aromatic (flavored)

english (has latakia)

vaper (has virginia and perique)

burley (has burley)
if you'd like suggestions for those 4 that are basic introductions (not gourmet acquired-taste blends) i'd suggest

aro: what cajunguy said

english: one of the frog mortons or cajunguy's balkan suggestions

vaper: escudo or orlik golden sliced

burley: prince albert or carter hall
while i suspect you'll get a lot of suggestions to try really high level stuff, to me i think it's a good idea to know what a hamburger tastes like before trying to evaluate filet mignon.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks so far guys.
@jpberg: basically, yes. I bought and smoked a wee bit back about a decade or so ago (kept my pipe) and suddenly craved the pipe out of the blue. I don't even recall what I smoked all those years ago, but I doubt it was good.
I noticed a lot of small brands are being suggested, but when people ask for people's favourites, they always seem to mention McClellands, C&D, SG, etc. So, for axample, for vaper, chopz you suggest Orlik Golden Sliced, so what makes it better than one of the many highly rated perique McClelland blends?
Cajunguy, I can't seem to find Hearth & Home Blackhouse on 4noggins (I think I need to order from them because they have cheap corn cobs, which I need because I'm pretty limited cash wise :lol:), but thanks for the suggestion. In fact, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'll keep looking, reading and thinking. I will report back my final choices, rothnh.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Boswell's have wonderful tobaccos and they are a real pleasure to do business with. There are some places that sell some samplers but they're names escape me. I'm sure others will provide them.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Boswell's site is really badly designed for e-commerce and they don't have the much needed corn cobs. :oops: When I am in a more financially stable position and TAD & PAD take hold, maybe then I can check them out. Their blends look interesting and cheap, too.
To others, I wonder if I should – as a n00b – be looking at also experimenting with physical cuts/types such as flake. Yes, no?

Aug 1, 2012
I will second Boswell's. They have a great selection, amazing aromatics and, when my wife called to get some tobaccos to surprise me with, she said the staff was knowledgeable and helpful.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Escudo for vaper

Sam Gawith full Virginia flake

Frog Morton or squadron leader for English

Lane 1Q aero

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Is the Escudo everyone is talking about AC Petersen's?
Another reason for me to choose 4noggins – over, let's say Boswell – is Paypal. I have funds squirrelled away there I can use. :twisted:
Thanks again for the help, guys!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I too second boswells. Im sure its hard to deal with them via phone, but if you can muster the attempt you wont be disappointed. christmas cookie, vanilla cream, boswells best. Is shipping cheap to canada? ive never tried, but i would be willing to send you a few of there blends from my own private stash.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I don't think shipping is super cheap, no. (Appreciate the sentiment, though) It's just that the tobacco taxes here are nuts and prices are three times that of 4noggins' prices on just about any tobacco. 8O

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I've done business with 4Noggins, they fine to deal with. Being in Canada is a drawback though, I can see that. I prefer the Peterson tinned tobaccos (but I fully admit to being biased) Connoisseur's Choice, Sunset Blend, any Summertime Blends, or Special Reserve blends are wonderful. Pipes and Cigars.com had a sale on the other day for 5 regular tins for $40.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I won't recommend an aro,'cause I don't like 'em. Ditto Va/per. And I will list more than 4, for subsequent orders.
Virginia - McClelland's Virginia Woods

Virginia Flake - S&G Best Brown Flake, Dunhill Flake

Latakia Blend - Peterson Old Dublin, S&G Balkan Flake

Burley - MacBaren Burley London (100 gram tins only)

Syrian Latakia - MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian (100 gram tins only)
Good luck with your journey.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
hey mick, welcome by the way. i mentioned orlik and escudo because they're basically sort of benchmark tobaccos. well known classics that can be compared to when people describe other blends. there are stronger blends - orlik is a very mild sweet flake (oh and they're both flakes so you get that experience as well) and very easy to smoke. you don't want your first exposure to perique to be like french kissing a dragon.
oh one other thing. if you've never smoked a flake before try it a few ways. try it folded and stuffed like the 'pros' do it but also try just crumbling or rubbing it out and sprinkling the pieces into the bowl or packing it normally. also probably want to experiment with drying it first versus not.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Try the Frog Morton Series(Frog Morton is the better of them). Margate is good as well. Kendals Kentucky or Dark birds eye(for extra nicotine), No bite Burley is decent as well. 7 Seas Royal is a decent aro for a beginner. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is a nice mild English. These baccys can be had from 4noggins.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
So much info, thanks guys.
It's funny to see certain people suggesting certain brands. :lol: I can see some people really have their favourites.
Some of the suggestions include some 100g only tins, such as Mac Baren Burley London and Frog Morton. I'm going to stay away from them for the moment, just because 100g is 1/2 my weight allowance. The smaller the sample I can buy, the better. I'll keep them in mind for the future, though.
Thanks chopz! So, a couple more stupid questions, are Balkans and English basically the same (broadly speaking) types? Also, what's the difference between something labelled aromatic and a Virginia tobacco? I thought most aromatics were Virginia but with flavours added. :?
Edit: pretty sure 2 of the selections will be Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Escudo. Two choices down, 2 to go! :clap:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If I were going to try to cover the bases, I would suggest:
1Q

Dunhill 965

Samuel Gawiths Full Virginia Flake

Dorisco Mixture
That would give you an Aromatic, an English, a straight Virginia and a Virginia/Perique blend, I would also advise you to go to the local drug store and pick up some Carter Hall or Kentucky Club for a straight Burley. Just my 2 cents.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
go to the local drug store and pick up some Carter Hall or Kentucky Club for a straight Burley
He is in CANADA and doesn't have those choices.
I would suggest a higher end aromatic, such as Solani 369. Tin description is misleading, this is a high quality blend that has some sort of top flavouring without being goopy. And it tastes like tobacco but with a scent. Something more aro and good in my book is Peterson Irish Whiskey.
Frog Morton comes in 50g as well but the tins aren't flat-ish, if one is trying to keep a low profile 8O
Balkans and English .... well ....to me Balkans have Orientals, Latakia, Virginia. Englishes have Latakia and Virginia ( but no Orientals ). I prefer Orientals with Lat in small amounts. Or subtle Latakia. I would suggest SG Balkan Flake, Balkan Sasieni, SG Squadron Leader if you didn't have your mind set already.
For a good VA, I second SG Full VA Flake. VA/Per ..... Escudo. My beloved Newminster Navy Flake and Stokkebye Navy Flake don't come in tins ..... and the McBaren Navy Flake comes in 100g only.
I don't smoke full-on Burleys so I can't recommend anything there.

Status
Not open for further replies.