PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
This weekend, I was walking in Seattle's Chinatown/International District, smoking my pipe, when I noticed that I was attracting a great deal of interest from some of the dealers of that other smokable herb who frequent the area.
Before you know it, I had a crowd of them around me, offering their wares, and I had a hell of a time convincing them that what I was smoking was NOT what they were selling. They couldn't believe it, acted as though they'd never heard of anyone being silly enough to smoke tobacco in a pipe.
I guess seeing someone smoking a pipe has become such a rare sight these days, that it's just assumed you're smoking pot. Once of these days, I expect to be pulled over by a cop for smoking my pipe in my car (yes, they've legalized personal use of marijuana in Washington, but not smoking it in public.) :laughat:

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I've had similar happenings. Even a few cops noticeably come my way, once they get close enough for a whiff they keep on walking though.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Glad that didn't turn dangerous. Who was the guy that was getting his boat inspected by the Coast Guard when he fired up his pipe? They all looked at him like, 'WHAT THE HELL?!' He thought it was pretty funny.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Same here in Dallas. Have not seen a tobacco pipe smoker here in Big D in over a decade. Let us know if ya need bail money. Times are changing.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
papa, next time we Dallas guys meet at Up In Smoke on McKinney, you should try and make it. You'll see some pipe smokers :)

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Simnettpratt I have a really good friend that is moving back down to McKinney. I may send him your way. He is very interested in getting into pipe smoking, he is somewhat of a cigar guy right now, but he really enjoyed smoking a pipe when we last hung out.

I lived about 6 and half years in Dallas. I lived in Oakcliff off of Kiest Blvd. Worked up off of 75.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Will do Simnettpratt. The Briar club meets on a Tuesday night at UIS Lewisville. Holy Grail Plano you see P smokers, but I never see folks outside with a pipe like walking down a street, etc.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Got to say, traveling around NYC area, I see absolutely no one smoking a pipe. Ever. Except for me and my buddy.
We get stares by people, but generally its not the same stare as the dreaded 'cigar' stare-with a cigar, it's usually with a 'look' that looks that if they had a 357 magnum, they'd use it :)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
What pipe tobacoo were you smoking ? I did have a cop pull me over . i was smoking a english blend .

so after i showed her i was a C & D blend she let me go . :laughat:

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've gotten alot of looks when I light up a pipe in town, when I'm walking between bars. Everybody stops to look at what I'm doing. Then they see that I keep walking while I smoke, and they continue. Still get some looks though. Get alot of comments when people come close enough to smell it, though.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've had cops give me the once over, whilst smoking a pipe while driving. But I'm a straight clencher, and once they get a good look at me they realize I'm smoking a traditional tobacco pipe. But now that I've got some fancy day glo Lucite stems on my Dunhills, why I might not be so lucky next time. LOL.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"What pipe tobacoo were you smoking ? "
Don't remember, but I'm sure it didn't smell like that other stuff.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Thanks Mick. Hope to see ya there sometime. Have been on the forum for quite a while, just never signed up. Out of state myself often.

Dec 24, 2012
If you had been smoking deertongue out in public they would have arrested you for using a weapon of mass destruction

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I have only been twice thought of to be smoking the other stuff while out in public. One was a young guy my age age or younger, pants around his waste, and trying to bum a light from me. When he walked off, I heard him remark to the girl he was with something about me being cool for smoking weed so boldly. As if I would be so stupid as to walk through a neighborhood smoking that in broad daylight! How he figured that that is what I was smoking when he got right next to me, I have no clue. Maybe Half and Half smells like it? I wouldn't know as I have never tried it. The other guy that thought I had something illegal in my pipe looked like he was high on something himself. He approached me as I was in a car and asked for a ride and some weed. His eyes were dilated, his nostrils were flared and he was sweating a lot. Other than that most folks give a positive reaction, if any at all. Cops don't even stare or do double takes. I've had many people come up and say either something like "that smells wonderful" or "that reminds me of my dad/grandpa" or show curiosity about it. Pipe smokers are not exactly common here in southwest Virginia, but I do see them from time to time.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I must admit I worry a bit now that I grow peppers and chili in a hydroponics system and can be seen smoking a pipe occasionally on the balcony. What if some nosy neighbor "puts two and two together" and assume I'm growing my own funny weed and calls the cops. Not that it is illegal but the hassle of it all to have to explain yourself.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"I must admit I worry a bit now that I grow peppers and chili in a hydroponics system and can be seen smoking a pipe occasionally on the balcony. What if some nosy neighbor "puts two and two together" and assume I'm growing my own funny weed and calls the cops. Not that it is illegal but the hassle of it all to have to explain yourself."
I'll say it again: What a world we live in!

Status
Not open for further replies.