PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
A close friend and I have recently decided to take up pipe smoking. As I did some homework trying to pick a respectable pipe I went ahead and bid on (and won) a pipe from ebay that was labeled as a peterson kildare 89s. My limited amount of research said that peterson pipes are quality and relatively inexpensive pipes. However, upon further inspection of the images of the pipe that I had won, I noticed markings on either side of it. One side marked "Mark Royal Diplomat" and the other "Made in London England". This threw up some alarms since Peterson is located in Ireland. The seller was obviously mistaken in their description of this pipe (I have already contacted them asking to return it). However, out of curiosity I'd like to know what this pipe is. In advance, thank you for your input.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Peterson did in fact have shops in England and some of their pipes were stamped as such until the '70s. It could even be a pre-republic pipe. I would keep it as they are fine smokers. Post pics when you can.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
559006636_o-600x322.jpg

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
For 25 dollars, if it is a Pete and its in good condition, you scored a deal If its not, going into your local B&M you won't find much (worth buying) for less than 35 dollars. So I'd keep it. If nothing else you got a nice lookin beater to learn with :puffpipe:

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Sounds like solid advice. I look forward to letting you all know how it turns out.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
If its used giver a run about the track before deciding on returning it. If its new once you smoke it its yours. But a possible Pete for less than $35? Pete or not its probably a good smoker giver her a run.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I have come across some awesome ebay pipes. I have three petersons I got there and Im proud of each one. I say keep it if you like it.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I finally gave this guy a good test run this weekend. Smokes like a dream. Gets a little hot in the hand but otherwise fantastic.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I finally gave this guy a good test run this weekend. Smokes like a dream. Gets a little hot in the hand but otherwise fantastic.
Sometimes it the smoking/packing technique and sometimes its just the pipe. Hopefully once you've learned a bit more and built a nice cake it won't heat up too much, but I do have a pipe that gets hot, even with a good cake and a SLOW smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.