PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsinn

Lurker
May 17, 2016
L.A.,CA., U.S.A.
i found this strange pipe at a thrift store. it has a vulcanite stem with a threaded tenon, but more importantly it has a metal bowl that inserts from the bottom. the top of the pipe body is closed. the bowl insert appears to be aluminum and has a channel that lines up with the draft hole and goes up to the tobacco chamber. there is no writing or makers marks on the pipe, but the metal bowl has "Patent Applied For" etched on the bottom near what i take for the draw hole. i have been searching the web for a few weeks and still have no clue what this may be.
pipe_01-600x398.jpg

pipe_02-600x418.jpg

pipe_031-600x338.jpg

edit: changed pic 03

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
No idea. It looks cool though. I guess you light it from the bottom? Now I want one !! :) I guess you could call it the UN-pipe. You sure it isn't a prop for a magic trick? :) Seriously interesting pipe. Thanks for posting, wish I could help.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Here I was expecting a cheap "basket pipe" with a metal bowl for wacky-backy.
That is very neat. I don't know I'd want to smoke out of it, but it is very neat.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Where does the hole in the shank enter the bowl? Can you get a pic of the inside of both "bowl" and the metal cup?

There isn't a heating coil in the base of the cup is there? Is there a channel in the briar bowl to draw smoke from inside the cup? Strange pipe but a cool find.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The integral molded threads and chunky bit make me think 1920s. I've looked through all the pipe ads I've copied, I got nuthin'.

unsinn

Lurker
May 17, 2016
L.A.,CA., U.S.A.
on the second pic (above) you can see that the metal bowl has a channel running around it horizontally and another that goes vertical. the draft hole from the shank enters about where it would if the pipe was normal and the horizontal channel should line up with it when the bowl is in. when i assembled it to test the draw i line up the vertical with the draft hole and it draws well. the metal is thin and pretty smooth on the inside, except where the channels are, with no coils or anything. the chamber in the briar is smooth and the bowl pressure fits into it. it fits pretty tight and does not go in all the way to the shoulder at the bottom of the metal and i haven't wanted to force it. note the residual pry marks from past owners...
the metal bowl from the top down inside:

pipe_04-555x600.jpg

inside of the pipe body from the bottom up:

pipe_051-600x338.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Wow, that is awesome! Never seen one before, probably aren't too many of those out there either. I love seeing the old pipe inventions. Thanks for sharing.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks for the extra pics. I was wondering if the channel on the metal bowl was a draft or a twist lock, riding and locking on a barb within the briar bowl. Can't figure out how one would draw a light into this thing with any convenience or even success for that matter. Looks like it's had tobacco in it though.
I was wondering if it was designed to be heated by a coil connected to cig lighter outlet while driving, but no coil. Could it be the metal bowl is reversed and drawn through the upside down pipe while lighting??
Kind of handy to fill a bowl and pack it in then store in a coat pocket or some such. A conundrum for sure.

unsinn

Lurker
May 17, 2016
L.A.,CA., U.S.A.
i haven't tried smoking it yet. the stem is still kinda funky smelling even though i have polished out the exterior. it was powdery brown and green when i got it. i was hoping to replace it with something acrylic before i tried it and keep the old one for best but the threaded tenon will be hard to match.

as far as lighting, i assumed i would pack it as normal and use a very low flame up through the draw hole in the bottom. it would have some advantages when smoking a wetter tobacco but will probably drip.

cullansghost

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
My hypothesis, as wrong as it may be, is that this pipe may have been intended for use with the pre-rolled tobacco's that were being marketed at the time. The taper at the bottom would keep the roll off the bottom, allowing for some air flow and ease of lighting. Also being that it's an enclosed metal bowl, one could smoke fairly continuously, and also not have stray embers fluttering about causing accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.